Body Butter Greasiness

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big believer in arrow root powder for butters and lotions, I use around 1 TBLS per pound of oils... just whipped up slme for a friend thats expecting but didn't want the greasiness of straight cocobutter, she loves it

You can get new whisk attachments for the KA that have silicone flanges on one or two blades that scrape as they go. My MIL makes cakes, and she LOVES this attachment for icings(frostings).

ETA-Can't find them on the internet to save my life. Have to call her(EEK) to find out where she got it.

Last edited:
Gent, I don't know your mixer's design. If it doesn't have the kind of bump in the middle with surrounding pit, in other words if your mixer bowl has a flat bottom, you may not have this problem. What you are suggesting might be a solution for me, but I like working with my cuisinart, so I will keep doing it this way.
I have a question though. If we are to add any kind of starch to the anhydrous body butters, do they now need to be preserved?
Susie, I would have gotten that attachment if I were still baking, that is a flat beater. I haven't seen such a whisk attachment. That would still be no good for the bottom of the bowl though.

Last edited:
You can get new whisk attachments for the KA that have silicone flanges on one or two blades that scrape as they go. My MIL makes cakes, and she LOVES this attachment for icings(frostings).

ETA-Can't find them on the internet to save my life. Have to call her(EEK) to find out where she got it.
I got one for cheesecakes:)) for 20 dollars in Winners it is discount store. Home outfitters carry it, I believe Walmart carry it too.

Flex Edge beater

0088304922540_300X300.jpg

Last edited:
I tried my KA once to whip the body butter but it was so difficult to get everything mixed thoroughly. Had to stop and scrape, still the stuff in the bottom pit was a different texture than the rest. Now I only use my cuisinart hand mixer. Does a wonderful job. A little expensive for hand mixers but really powerful.

I have a cuisnart handmixer but I prefer my KA. I just can't find the whisk. I used it a bunch of times then it just disappeared. I used it last in December.

I have a cuisnart handmixer but I prefer my KA. I just can't find the whisk. I used it a bunch of times then it just disappeared. I used it last in December.
I hope you find it again:)
Do you use preservatives in the body butter with arrowroot powder? I mean in those with no water. My friends love my body butters, so if they like something with the starches better, I want to give them something safe. I just got my tapioca starch and corn starch from Amazon. I think I'm going to use the tapioca.

I hope you find it again:)
Do you use preservatives in the body butter with arrowroot powder? I mean in those with no water. My friends love my body butters, so if they like something with the starches better, I want to give them something safe. I just got my tapioca starch and corn starch from Amazon. I think I'm going to use the tapioca.

I haven't made it with the starch as yet. I have been using Isopropyl Myristate but plan on trying the tapioca starch in the near future.

Would potato flour work as a sub for corn/tapioca/arrowroot? I know in regular baking it can, and it's a lot more available than the others, in my area.

Question-- does anyone know how the corn starch/ tapioca flour is making the butter less greasy? Is it soaking up the oil or what?

Don't know how/why it works but I love tapioca starch in the mix. I use 1 tsp per 8 weighed ounces of oils. It seems to be best after sitting a day or two after whipping. Haven't tried the cornstarch. The bag I have will last forever at the rate of a tsp/8 ounces so I won't be experimenting anytime soon. Pays to listen to a book on tape while whipping. Forever.

Would potato flour work as a sub for corn/tapioca/arrowroot? I know in regular baking it can, and it's a lot more available than the others, in my area.
it would it is exactly the same, starch. I would rather use IPM than any flour on my skin::sad:

Not Dahlia, but I have a couple of thoughts to contribute. Slight traces of powder like cornstarch can look "ashy" on dark skin. Also there's the skin feel issue. Some powders feel slightly irritating or itchy on my skin right when I first start to sweat. I'm not sure where that's coming from, but it's something I don't care for.

Ah okay. I used a very small amount, I think it was 2% in the end, 30 grams in 1,500grams of oil (a lot of people want to try it!) and in the test uses I haven't detected a hint of the flour itself, other than the less greasy feel.

I think it's very much a "YMMV" thing, Effy. If it works for you and your lady -- that's really all that matters.

I'm betting most people would be perfectly fine using a product with a small addition of a starch powder. I would gladly try it and see how it felt on my skin. If it felt good, I'd happily use it. I also don't have dark skin so ashiness isn't a concern for myself.

By the way, the color and texture of the butter in the photo you shared looks delightful.

Latest posts

Back