Man scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgawlik

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered already, my powers of search are nit working right now,
I have a great ( I mean really great) emulsifyed sugar scrub recipe I use for myself and other females, but want to make a "man scrub" but what do men look for in a scrub? Is this something worth trying? Do I use sugar? If not what other medium could I use? I find coffee gounds to be very harsh.. im sure there are more questions on this subject.. thanks

I'm curious, so please don't think it's catty - Do you really think it's the sugar that men think is less masculine? I would think it's more about the scent. I can't use my hubby as an example because he uses whatever I put in the shower for him.

It depends more on how it is put over: "make you skin gleam with a rosey hue that will make your angelic appeal shine through" will not really do it. A manly scent, as has been said, along with some good reasons for men to use it...............that'll be enough.

The only thing I'd add is to think a little about the different reasons a man might have for wanting a scrub. I'm treading in sterotypes here. This is not based on any personal anecodote.

Guys hands get dirty and cut up from fiddling with things when they should be wearing gloves. Now those gloves that you bought for them are in the garage. They know that they exist. But, they aren't going to use them for fixing the greasy, sharp-edged machine thing. So they get goopy hands with little cuts. They need to clean them with a scrub, but those little cuts are going to make salt scrubs an incredibly bad idea... much like refusing to wear perfectly wonderful gloves that are in the garage.

I'd stick with things that won't hurt a man's hand any more than his stubborness already has. Oh, it should smell outdoorsy and have packaging that screams "Grandpa's shed" instead of "MeeMaw's kitchen".

Last edited:
My husband is going through a patchouli phase, so he might use a scrub scented with that, or something like patchouli orange. And he loves the Prorasso (sp?) eucalyptus and mint scent - Im sure theres some menthol in there too, but I don't know about adding that to a scrub, would that work?

Edit to add: cedar and fir also scream "manly workshed" :p

Are you talking scrubs for hands or body?

I don't think any of the men I sell to (including my DH, who gets it all for free) really use a body scrub, unless some woman has talked them into it. :) But they love scrub for their hands.

Make it smell "manly" - but I don't think there's a need to add any more "scrub" than usual for the body.

My husband really likes the soap I make with coffee grounds. I try to grind them really finely, but I can see where they could feel harsh to some. What about a salt scrub in lieu of the sugar? Salt seems somehow more manly. LOL

I make a hand bar with coffee grinds for when I get home from work, I am a male, and I use it daily. My gf does think its a bit scratchy but it does clean very well.

My husband loves my coffee ground soap too. He found pumice too fine. I found a sense of humour works wth men too. I gave my brother an oat soap for Christmas. I labelled it "Scrub Soap for Seriously Dirty Bast...s". He laughed so much on Christmas Day and couldn't resist trying it out and now only uses my soap!

TEG and the others are right. The label has to scream manliness, in a way they can understand what it does. I tried to explain a sugar scrub to my brother and couldn't work out why he looked so blank. My husband said its like "swarfvega". The lightbulb went on immediately. My sister in Law wasn't too pleased though - he keeps using hers!! She's had to hide it!

...................... My husband said its like "swarfvega". The lightbulb went on immediately. My sister in Law wasn't too pleased though - he keeps using hers!! She's had to hide it!

I am sat here chuckling at this! Now I know what a sugar scrub should be like - good for getting engine grease off of my hands.

I am sat here chuckling at this! Now I know what a sugar scrub should be like - good for getting engine grease off of my hands.

It made me chuckle too. it wasn't quite an appropriate lightbulb, but it worked! I now know what to make him for his birthday, along with a seriously manly label of course!

Scent really isn't the question.. I have thoughts for that.. I guess my main questin is the medium.. I feel like sugar would be "off putting" to the majority of guys. With the amount of sugar I use it would take a ton of ground pumice, my stepson has acne and uses my scrub and seems to like it, I am really just trying to alter what I have with a more "manly" seeming scrub for guys that can be used on hands and face..

If you want ideas for how to appeal to the manly man, check out Duluth Trading Company http://www.duluthtrading.com/ They cater to workin' man types (and workin' girl types) with "buck naked" underwear, "ball room" jeans, long-tail tees with the slogan "Plumber's butt - Fixed!", and more.

I don' think guys will care whether it's sugar, coffee, or pumice as long as it gets the job done and appeals to a manly sense of humor. As I see it, I'd sell a sugar scrub to guys with the idea that the scrub rinses down the drain clean and quick, so you can get back to the job and the "ol' lady" won't complain about a messy sink. With pumice or coffee, that's not so true. Salt would work but I wouldn't use it in a scrub -- too stingy in cuts and nicks.

Aye, just call it a scrub and use the sugar - if you call it a sugar scrub it might be off putting to some, but if it is a "body scrub" that just so happens to have sugar in it. There will be a lot of things in there that aren't part of the title.

I make scrub soaps that are very popular with the dudes. Coffee as the liquid, poppy seeds and salt soap shreds. They are meant as hand scrubs, but guys use them on their bodies to shower. Crazy I say but who am I to judge? dudes will be dudes. Tea tree and peppermint sells well, citrus rosemary sells really really well. Only essential oils are used for scents but this might not matter.

Maybe you want a scrub soap rather than a scrub?

I think a body scrub would be popular among your men because the feedback I get from mine has been an almost unanimous 'please send me exfoilants'. I have been using the ground walnut shell powder and they really like it. Men are different in that you will have picky and not-at-all picky. Mostly I am surrounded by not-at-all picky, at least concerning scent, and they tickle me because they will soon as pick up a bar or scrub of something scented like a moonflower (and these are my mechanics and warehouse workers) as much as something manly or woodsy. I have also had several men request lavender, and honey almond, and white colored soap. Maybe use tool-themed words to market the scrub? Buffers? Shiners? Hide-smoothers? Lol.

I sell to many men but not a one would use an emulisified scrub. In fact at one market my largest customers base is men. I make an extra scrubby mud bar with some orange oil and they are extremely popular. I also make a DB soap that has an extra scrubby layer of Coach's Steel Cut Oatmeal from Costco. It is an oat that still has some of the husk in tact. It is a win win for me, I use rebatched soap so I recycle all my discarded soaps and trimmings.

Latest posts

Back