Some soup to share

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
It's gray and cold today, with a layer of snow on the ground. Just the kind of weather for a steaming hot bowl of homemade soup! I have some simmering on the stove already, and I thought I'd share this recipe with you. This is a thick, hearty soup that will warm you up from the inside out. It's one of my favorites, and it's very flexible, depending on what you have around. Like most of my soup recipes, it's pretty loose, as far as measurements go.

Canellini Bean/Chard Soup

1 onion
garlic ( a little or a lot, depending on your taste)
1pkg. hot turkey Italian sausage, removed from casing (I like the hot one!)
7 cups stock, or water and bouillon cubes
1 bunch Swiss chard
2 russet potatoes
2 cans canellini beans
1 lg. can diced tomatoes

Dice onion and garlic and saute in a bit of olive oil, in a large soup pot. Remove sausage from its casing, and add to the pan. Cook until it's not pink any more, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add about seven cups of stock, or water and some bouillon cubes. Add the can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Dice potatoes, (I leave the skin on) and add to the pot. While potatoes are getting tender, wash and chop the chard. ( I like to use rainbow chard, and I add the stems too, but you can use any kind you like. Actually this time around, the store was out of chard, so I used baby spinach.) Add chard to the pot, and cook until potatoes and chard are tender. This doesn't take long. When they are done, rinse the canellini beans, and add to the pot. If you like thicker soup, cook another potato in the microwave, and when done, scoop it out of it's shell, mash, and add to the soup. Because I like everything hot, I add some crushed red pepper, but that's optional. I even added a spoonful of hot curry paste to a bowl the last time I made it, and that was yummy, too!

Yummy, I love all kinds of soup. Thankyou for sharing. LOL, who measures when it comes to soup making!!!

Exactly, right? I never understand when I hear people say they don't know how to make soup. You just throw a bunch of your favorite things in a pot of water or stock, and voila...soup!

Sounds perfect for a cold, gloomy day. I'm going to give it go. Thanks for sharing Nav!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

That sounds really good. Will have to give it a go. I never measure, except when baking. Therefore it's sometimes hard to duplicate a recipe. Thank you for sharing!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

I made it for dinner tonight and hubby LOVED it! I didn't have any sausage so used ham instead. Then I remembered I had a parmesan rind in the freezer so dropped that in. Threw together some baking powder biscuits and dinner was served! The beauty is the left overs. I have to be out of town next week so he'll have a few meals ready to pop into the microwave. Thanks so much, Nav, for the simple yet REALLY yummy soup! I'm copying and pasting into a word doc so I remember what the recipe calls for.:)

I made it for dinner tonight and hubby LOVED it! I didn't have any sausage so used ham instead. Then I remembered I had a parmesan rind in the freezer so dropped that in. Threw together some baking powder biscuits and dinner was served! The beauty is the left overs. I have to be out of town next week so he'll have a few meals ready to pop into the microwave. Thanks so much, Nav, for the simple yet REALLY yummy soup! I'm copying and pasting into a word doc so I remember what the recipe calls for.:)

Krista, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It really is a yummy winter soup, and I'm sure it was equally as good with ham. And the parmesan rind must have added yet another layer of flavor. There's nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold and dreary winter's day. Yum!

It's gray and cold today, with a layer of snow on the ground. Just the kind of weather for a steaming hot bowl of homemade soup! I have some simmering on the stove already, and I thought I'd share this recipe with you. This is a thick, hearty soup that will warm you up from the inside out. It's one of my favorites, and it's very flexible, depending on what you have around. Like most of my soup recipes, it's pretty loose, as far as measurements go.

1 onion
1 bunch Swiss chard
2 russet potatoes
2 cans canellini beans
1 lg. can diced tomatoes

Dice onion and garlic and saute in a bit of olive oil, in a large soup pot. Remove sausage from its casing, and add to the pan. Cook until it's not pink any more, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add about seven cups of stock, or water and some bouillon cubes. Add the can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Dice potatoes, (I leave the skin on) and add to the pot. While potatoes are getting tender, wash and chop the chard. ( I like to use rainbow chard, and I add the stems too, but you can use any kind you like. Actually this time around, the store was out of chard, so I used baby spinach.) Add chard to the pot, and cook until potatoes and chard are tender. This doesn't take long. When they are done, rinse the canellini beans, and add to the pot. If you like thicker soup, cook another potato in the microwave, and when done, scoop it out of it's shell, mash, and add to the soup. Because I like everything hot, I add some crushed red pepper, but that's optional. I even added a spoonful of hot curry paste to a bowl the last time I made it, and that was yummy, too!

This sounds like my kind of soup, especially if I can get away with half a bulb of garlic.:mrgreen: Yea, I loves me some garlic; almost everything savoury tastes better with it.

This sounds like my kind of soup, especially if I can get away with half a bulb of garlic.:mrgreen: Yea, I loves me some garlic; almost everything savoury tastes better with it.

Mmmmm.....I agree. And isn't it nice that something that tastes so good, is good for you too? How often does that happen?

1 onion
1 bunch Swiss chard
2 russet potatoes
2 cans canellini beans
1 lg. can diced tomatoes

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My son has vision problems and the doctor has prescribed him reading glasses and has given a long list of food that has to be included in the diet. His reading glasses no doubt we'll be ordering it from citysunglass. But when it comes to food, my son shows a lot of tantrums. Swiss chard promotes eye health. Carotenoids are pigments that are found in plants and help to keep the eyes from losing function with age, and swiss chard is loaded with them. I am not that good at cooking, so was looking for a dish that includes swiss card. I hope he's going to like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My son has vision problems and the doctor has prescribed him reading glasses and has given a long list of food that has to be included in the diet. His reading glasses no doubt we'll be ordering it from citysunglass. But when it comes to food, my son shows a lot of tantrums. Swiss chard promotes eye health. Carotenoids are pigments that are found in plants and help to keep the eyes from losing function with age, and swiss chard is loaded with them. I am not that good at cooking, so was looking for a dish that includes swiss card. I hope he's going to like this.

I hope he likes it too, Melissa. I find that Swiss chard has a very mild flavor, unlike some other greens. So if your son is fussy about his food, hopefully this would be one that he won't object to. Best of luck! :)

I have printed out this recipe to try!

BTW, Melissa, you may want to look into smoothies. In my experience raw greens - spinach, etc - are often better tasting raw. Of course, cooking them unlocks certain nutrients! But a green smoothie can't hurt. Try yogurt, some frozen spinach, some fruit and some water (or some kind of veggie milk). It's not pretty but it tastes okay.

Thanks so much. I hope you do not mind me sharing my favorite soup in return. It is a traditional revithsoupa (Greek chickpea soup).

* 3 cups (~500 g) dried chickpeas
* 1 tsp (~4 to 5 g) baking soda
* 3 large onions (I prefer yellow or vidalia)
* 1 generous cup (~250 mL) good EV Greek olive oil
* Juice of one large lemon
* Salt/pepper

Soak peas the night before, drain the next day, and add baking soda (stir) leaving a short time for it to take effect, then rinse peas throughly. Put peas and diced onions in a large pot with enough fresh water to make a soup and bring to a boil. Remove the scum when you see it. Lower heat and let simmer about 2.5 hours, adding more boiling water if you need to. Just before peas turn too tender, add olive oil, and salt/pepper to taste. Return to boil and drizzle with lemon juice right before serving.

This is about the most stripped down version of revithsoupa you will find. Google it and you will come up with mutiple variations. Some people like to add tomato paste but many don't. Some people add root vegetables or hardy greens. Some add herbs like thyme. But for me this most simple recipe is what I like, given some great Greek olive oil that is.

EDIT: None of this has to be exact. Really, I just use a standard bag of dried chickpeas, a lot of water, 2 to 4 onions depending on size and how much I feel like chopping, and a cup of olive oil. I don't measure much of anything except the olive oil. The baking soda does something to soften the peas, which is nice for this soup I think.

Scooter

Last edited:
Back