Feedback on a new soaper's palm-free recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
I'm a new soaper and have been spending most of my free time planning my first from-scratch batch on Soap Calc. I like the idea of choosing my own ingredients vs. following someone else's recipe, but of course I don't have the experience to play around!

I know I want to create a conditioning bar without palm oil, but have no idea how my favorite theoretical recipe will work out. Can you see anything here to be cautious about? (Ignore the absolute poundage, I was just playing around):

QGrtTMT.png

What kind of skin do you have? I have dry skin and that bar would be a bit too drying or me. I would lower the coconut oil 15%-20% and make up the rest with more OO. I try to keep my cleansing number around 10-13. If you have oily skin, your recipe should be ok but most people will recommend not to use more then 20% coconut.

Thanks Obsidian! I do have super dry skin especially in winter. I'll adjust.

You might want to add 2 tsp of salt to the lye water mix, it will help your bars be a little bit harder. Lowering the coconut can make for a bit of a soft bar.

Back