How Many Bodywork Professionals do we have??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just noticing that we have an increased number of bodyworkers on the forum lately... which is awesome!!

Healers, Skin Care, Hair Care, Holistic Doctors, etc...

I am a Licensed Massage Therapist, and seriously thinking about pursuing Acupuncture in the near future. (among the million other things Im interested in... lol)

I have been in the field for about 7 years now... it keeps me from making soap lol

I'm a licensed esthetician but I'm still looking for a job. The only experience I've had is clients from school, family and friends.

This is why I've had so much time to work on making my own products. :wink:

Although, cross your fingers...I just applied for a position and I'm hoping I'll get it.

I'd love to get aromatherapy training but there's nothing around here. :cry:

I've been looking at the online courses but I'm not sure which is best. It doesn't matter too much right now since I don't have the money to pay for one. :lol:

:) I love the bodywork field :) It is awesome :)

Im glad to see that we have a growing community of bodyworkers (and people interested in bodywork) on the forum!! :)

I have some dvd's worth copying. I can go through them when I get a chance. I wonder what shipping is for just a slim case?

P.S. oh wait - that's against copyright law, isn't it....... hmm, I guess I should say nvm then ;-) lol

Bigmoose said:
My wife is a medical massage therapist. I love being her test subject.

Bruce

LOL I have been trying to show my girl "the ropes" .... Im always up for an opp to be a guinea pig!! :)

lol you are veeery lucky, I my girl was a massage therapist too lol... that would be sweeeeet.... but shes awesome anyway :)

Well, to you guys with a license.... I just bought 16 oz amber glass bottles with lids for only .99 cents each... plus others ( 2, 4, 8oz plastic bottle/lid for .39)... cd's for $3.50... lots and lots more... go check it out, free shipping on $150 orders... I just spent $150.75.. can't wait to get it all - no Christmas/birthday shopping left - and they'll never know the discounts lol.

universalcompanies.com

Healinya said:
Well, to you guys with a license.... I just bought 16 oz amber glass bottles with lids for only .99 cents each... plus others ( 2, 4, 8oz plastic bottle/lid for .39)... cd's for $3.50... lots and lots more... go check it out, free shipping on $150 orders... I just spent $150.75.. can't wait to get it all - no Christmas/birthday shopping left - and they'll never know the discounts lol.

universalcompanies.com

that is awesome!! thanks for the link!!!

I make my own lotions and aromatherapy blends for my practice (saves money!!), so that is a great site! thanks!!!

Does anyone else make lotions for their practice?

I don't, but I have made a whipped body butter recipe that I got from this forum, and have used it for stone massage, I love it.... it was 60% shea, 20% jojoba, 20%... hmm, can't remember, but probably apricot kernal or rice bran. One day I may strictly use my own private line - but I'm years away... who knows, my arms may quit on me in a few years and I need a back-up plan.

In school, I used some of my own blends but not lotions.

I recently was told by a MT student that he would buy massage cream/lotion from me. But so far, I haven't been able to come up with one that lasts long enough for a massage. I've looked at the ingredients in professional creams/lotions and I'm using the same oils. Is there something I'm missing?

Any suggestions? :D

Hazel said:
In school, I used some of my own blends but not lotions.

I recently was told by a MT student that he would buy massage cream/lotion from me. But so far, I haven't been able to come up with one that lasts long enough for a massage. I've looked at the ingredients in professional creams/lotions and I'm using the same oils. Is there something I'm missing?

Any suggestions? :D

Lasts long enough in terms of staying on the skin without absorbing? or in terms of volume of product used?

I have a few different blends I use based on each therapy, for swedish I use something thats a little higher in oils so there isnt as much "stick" and then for deep tissue I like something higher in water content, and a little thicker so its not so greasy and I can do some of the hard-core myofascial deep tissue type work without slipping all over the place... hyperemia and derivation here I come :)

what kind of percentages are you using?

Oh oh Ian...I lied to you. I was just looking at a sample massage cream packet and it listed soybean oil as an ingredient. I haven't tried this oil.

Percentages were approximately

30.5% aloe juice
12.5% aloe vera gel
33% sweet almond oil
13% cocoa butter
3% beeswax
5% lecithin
1.5% glycerin
1% Optiphen
.5% T-50

My understanding was that it absorbed too quickly. I think part of the problem is that I used beeswax which also probably created drag. Also, I used aloe juice instead of distilled water. Another problem could have been the cocoa butter. Or the lecithin...I really don't know. People who weren't MTs loved it for massage which is why I asked a couple of students to try it out.

I've found a couple of other recipes that I will play around with and see if they work better. These recipes use stearic acid and ewax. I've bought some glyceryl monostearate which I'm going to substitute for the stearic acid. I've read that stearic acid can create too much drag.

I'm just going to have to keep experimenting.

Hazel said:
Oh oh Ian...I lied to you. I was just looking at a sample massage cream packet and it listed soybean oil as an ingredient. I haven't tried this oil.

Percentages were approximately

30.5% aloe juice
12.5% aloe vera gel
33% sweet almond oil
13% cocoa butter
3% beeswax
5% lecithin
1.5% glycerin
1% Optiphen
.5% T-50

My understanding was that it absorbed too quickly. I think part of the problem is that I used beeswax which also probably created drag. Also, I used aloe juice instead of distilled water. Another problem could have been the cocoa butter. Or the lecithin...I really don't know. People who weren't MTs loved it for massage which is why I asked a couple of students to try it out.

I've found a couple of other recipes that I will play around with and see if they work better. These recipes use stearic acid and ewax. I've bought some glyceryl monostearate which I'm going to substitute for the stearic acid. I've read that stearic acid can create too much drag.

I'm just going to have to keep experimenting.

30.5% aloe juice-------------->
12.5% aloe vera gel ---------> 43% "water"
33% sweet almond oil -------> 33% oils
13% cocoa butter -----------> 21% hard
3% beeswax ----------------->
5% lecithin -------------------->
1.5% glycerin
1% Optiphen
.5% T-50

I would say that you should def. nix the cb and beeswax,(maybe switch the cb for aloe butter...I LOOOOVE that stuff)... in my experience, theyre just too stiff for massage, while they may be nice for lotions you just rub on and are done with, for massage when you are really getting into palpating and such I think you will be using too much...
This Recipe is a newer version of my last recipe which needed a bit more heat before the oils and water were combined, as well as a little bit more oil.

I would split that 21% up between water (which I like around 65-75%) and the oils. I like the oils up around 17-20%)

I would say to switch the glycerine with lanolin too... Glycerine kinda gets sticky on skin, lanolin...which is a homologue for our skins' natural oil, sebum is very nutritive to the skin and will absorb pretty well...

I agree on the stearic, I tried it and dont like it... I found that when I used it it would "ball up" on clients skin, not sure if they realized it but I thought it was nasty so I stopped using it in my formulations

I tried this recipe recently for a swedish adaptation:

74% water
22% oils (grapeseed, because it has little possibility of allergic reactions)
4% ewax

although I think a better batch would be 5% ewax, and 23% oils... I think this one was juuuust a bit too loose, I was going for loose, but this is just a bit too loose. I wanted this to be able to be used in a pump-bottle without clogging it, or sucking up only a little bit where the intake is, and then the rest is too stiff to settle back down around it...leaving me pumping like a fiend while the client is wondering Kitten Love is going on here!?!? lol...

I was using potassium sorbate as a pressie at .1%, but I dont think I want to use Potassium Sorbate as a preservative any more, Im just nervous about the alternatives... Might start using optiphen or something once I get busier... recently I have just been making lotions per massage, so if I know I have 5 treatments the next day, I will make 5 units worth of lotion the night before, keep it in the fridge and its good to go. I hate using preservatives but it is neccessary if the lotion is kept more than 24-48 hrs. (and I keep mine in the frige too).... I like to have about 1.5 oz of lotion per client, at least... or 2, just cause you never know when people are rockin' the fur which everyone knows eats lotion up like a hungry sasquach...

Its a constant process though, I still want to improve my recipes as I dont think I have found "the one" yet... but I am so critical of everything I make, so that might be part of the problem...

I havent tried glyceryl monostearate so I might see what that is about, I guess it is used in food products too so that is cool (that is mostly one of my requirements for lotions, I want them to literally be okay to eat)

I am really trying to find a food-grade and skin safe preservative so I dont need to make batches of lotion every time I have clients etc.. although there is a good marketing effect I have found from me making my own lotions, I make it heavily known that I do so in practice .... so people find it cool that I make my own lotions the night before ... I always say theyre fresh from the cupboard to the fridge to the table... (massage table in this case!) ;)

Hope that helps! :)

IanT said:
I like to have about 1.5 oz of lotion per client, at least... or 2, just cause you never know when people are rockin' the fur which everyone knows eats lotion up like a hungry sasquach...

I have heard MTs mention something about this problem but not in such graphically visual terms. :lol:

I would think people would be thrilled to know that the massage lotions are fresh and unpreserved. It’s definitely good marketing.

Thanks so much. You’ve been very helpful. I did wonder about using beeswax and cocoa butter but it’s what was written in the recipe. I got it from a google search and when I made it up, it was very nice. I gave it to several people and they liked it as a massage lotion but then they aren’t MTs.

The percentages are very helpful. I ran the other recipe I had found through a calculator. I had thought the water seemed very high and the oils and butter were a little low.

77% Water
13% Oil
1% Butter :shock:

Luckily, I hadn’t made it up yet. I’d been putting it off because I’ve been making CP and MP. I’ll alter the percentages and give it a try. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I certainly understand what you mean about being critical about everything you make. I’m the same way. After I make something, I always think it could be better and wonder what I can change to improve it. I'll just have to keep experimenting until I come up with something the MTs really like.

Thanks again for the help.

no worries :) glad I could help!!!

I find that water just absorbs into skin, cause most people have such dry skin from diet, or just not moisturizing ever... so if you include a lot of water, it will get soaked up reaaaaal fast by their skin, because its craving it...so I like to have a little bit of a balance, I use moisturizing oils and a moderate water %, so they get the moisture they need, at the same time as me not having to go through like 5 oz of lotion to get the massage done...

yeah I came across recipes like that at first, and asked around a bit, and the general concensus was ditch the beeswax, waxes will only sit on the skin and not get absorbed, so while they are excellent for keeping moisture in, theyre not really great for the professional massage application (unless say, you are making something specifically for feet/hands... but then you get into another issue...dispensing it is a PITA, it will clog most pumps, and if it doesnt you run into the whole suck up available lotion but it wont settle down so when the pump sucks everything locally located to the tube thingy... all thats left is an air pocket)...

thats why I dont use waxes in my massage lotions any more... I think the recipes you find online state massage more like, massage onto my skin for a second or two...not really meaning massage in terms of being able to be used in the professional setting :)

re the unpreserved thing...:yeah thats my philosophy too.. I like the viral marketing aspect of it, people do talk about things like that and Ive gained clients because of it... now granted Im not knocking preservatives, they are both essential and neccessary for any application where you dont use up the product in 24-48 hrs, but I seriously doubt that there are any microbes and such in there after 24 hrs... I usually use it up before the 24 is out anyway, so its good for my application, but once I get into packaging and selling it when I do finally get my dream recipe... then Im going to worry about preservatives... Or at least until I can find one on the market that is good for both food, and skin and doesnt have any carcinogenic or nasty effects, which is just not the case IMO for most of them... Im hypercritical about this though... I always get the MSDS for everything I use, combined with my chem/bio knowledge from college, and research... I always make sure stuff is safe for use in all aspects internal and external...

wow... I could write way too much.. I guess I really like lotions lol ...

Oil blends are waaay easier because no water is involved and hence they really only require an antioxidant like ROE or Vit E

I haven't had a chance to try the new percentages for a massage cream because...drum roll please...I started a new job (part time) and have been working/training for it this week.

Plus...another, longer drum roll...I had an interview Wednesday at a spa and the owner called me today and wants me to start within the next few days. Yeah! :D

I hope this works out. Both are part time jobs and it will take some juggling but I am sooo thrilled!

Latest posts

Back