sap value of oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

greetings! I want to start making a soap with tea tree oil on it, but I'm having a trouble finding what tea tree oil sap value,
if it's okay can you guys please kindly help me where I can find the sap value of tea tree oil I tried all the online calculator I can find but tea tree oil is not listed.

or can you guys help me how to get a oil sap value or can you direct where I can check or buy a calculator that I can add oil and check the sap value of it.

many thanks in advace :)

Also I want to ask if I have a extract ingredient that I want to add on my recipe/formula, should I deduct it on my water for lye?

And if I have a powder form ingredient can I just grab some of the water for lye or oil from the recipe/formula to dissolve it?

sorry for having a lot of questions but hoping and looking forward for your reply guys :)

thanks in advance!

Greetings and welcome to that forum/group :

Tea Tree Oil is used as an additive in soap making , so you are not trying to use say ounces of it as your majority base oil , you are only adding it maybe at drops or teaspoon/tablespoon ppo so there is no need to run it through the soap calc or worry about a sap value. if you are trying to get its full properties in soap then HP would be the way to go . [you can put it in CP if you so choose , i would add it right before molding if you have a plain soap]

you did not say exactly what your "extract ingredient" is so its somewhat of a trick question ... if its something that yields high liquid then yes depending on the amount it is.

and you can use oil/water from your recipe to dissolve the powder form ingredients , like a tablespoon amount . or you can even add it without taking from your measured oil/water as long as its by the spoon amount .

Please don't be shy and introduce yourself to the forum members , we are happy to have you here. I sure others will reply and add to where i may have missed with my answer to your questions , Bless

You will never find tea tree on a soap calculator. It doesn't saponify or otherwise consume lye, so it does not have a saponification value.

Use soapee.com

Also I want to ask if I have a extract ingredient that I want to add on my recipe/formula, should I deduct it on my water for lye?
And if I have a powder form ingredient can I just grab some of the water for lye or oil from the recipe/formula to dissolve it?

The answer to both questions is "it depends." If you're a new soaper (it sounds like you are) I'd suggest you come back with the specific additive you want to use and ask what others would do. It's hard to give a generic answer for all additives.

thank u lion of judah and deena, thank you so much for welcoming me and helping a newbie like me on soap making :)

about the extract like aloe vera extract

for powder form I want to add 1 - 2% of cocamidemea on my soap but its powder I don't know if I need to add water, or grab from my measured oil/water. but lion of judah already explained it thanks u so much :)

since tee tree oil don't saponify, it means I Will only calculate
coconut oil
palm oil
olive oil
total of 100% for lye?

I'm planning to add
tee tree oil
aloevera
cocamidemea
gylecrin

can I also ask guys if other ingredients are not oil that don't need to saponify like seeds, leaves, powder, extract etc. how do you guys calculate it if you want to make 500g.

do you only calculate the oil that need to sponify to 100%

or you guys deduct let say 20% other ingredients that are not oil, then the remaining 80% combination of oil base such as coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil and etc. total of 100%.

then calculate the lye needed for 80% oil that need to saponify?

I tried to calculate but soapee.com says Total oils % should be 100%. , so I'm confused how about the other ingredients.?

sorry if I have a lot of questions at the moment I'm confuse, I hope you guys can help me.

thank u so much in advance!

As already mentioned, additives that are powders are usually dissolved in some of the water required. Just deduct it from the total water you are using for your lye solution. Aloe juice is considered part of your water requirement, powdered aloe is dissolved in some of your water. Liquid additives are always part of your water requirement. Oils always have to equal 100%.

since tee tree oil don't saponify, it means I Will only calculate
coconut oil
palm oil
olive oil
total of 100% for lye?

Yes, that is correct. I want to point out that tea tree oil is used as a scent in soap. For 500g of oils you want to use at no more than 5% (25g). I would actually not suggest more than 15 - 20g.

I'm planning to add
tee tree oil
aloevera
cocamidemea
gylecrin

I addressed the tea tree above, but I would use about 5g for every 500g of oils of aloe vera powder. I am not sure of the usage rate of the cocamide, tho I am not sure why you want to add a surfactant. As for glycerin, that is a natural by product of saponification, so your soap will have glycerine in it naturally. Adding more can just make your soap soft and sticky.

can I also ask guys if other ingredients are not oil that don't need to saponify like seeds, leaves, powder, extract etc. how do you guys calculate it if you want to make 500g.

depends on the additive, but usually from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per pound of oils (or per 500g of oil).

do you only calculate the oil that need to sponify to 100%

or you guys deduct let say 20% other ingredients that are not oil, then the remaining 80% combination of oil base such as coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil and etc. total of 100%.

then calculate the lye needed for 80% oil that need to saponify?

yes, the only things you calculate are your oils. you do not enter anything else into the soap calc.

I tried to calculate but soapee.com says Total oils % should be 100%. , so I'm confused how about the other ingredients.?

sorry if I have a lot of questions at the moment I'm confuse, I hope you guys can help me.

thank u so much in advance!

here is a link to a filled out soapee recipe to show you what you need to put into the calc.

http://soapee.com/recipes/2788

thank you so much cmzaha and kchaystack for detailed answers and a pic how to use soapee.com calculator thank u so much it really help me a lot :)

I think I understand now but please correct me if I'm wrong :)

If I will going to add other addetives/ingredients that are not oil, I will base the % on the total oil i will going to use, and not the total recipe.

I will compute my disire % of additive/ingredients I want to add that are not oils, based from the oil I measured for lye.

for example:
if I have 500g of oil measured for lye, I will use 5 - 25g of tea tree oil, aloe or other ingredients/additives I want to add as long its not oil, if I want to add 1 - 5% of ingredients/additive.

please guys tell me if I'm going the right direction thank you.

Last edited:
If I will going to add other addetives/ingredients that are not oil, I will base the % on the total oil i will going to use, and not the total recipe.

I will compute my disire % of additive/ingredients I want to add that are not oils, from the oil I measured for lye.

for example:
if I have 500g of oils, I will use 5 - 25g of tea tree oil, aloe or other ingredients/additives I want to add as long its not oil, if I want to add 1 - 5% of ingredients/additive.

please guys tell me if I'm going the right direction thank you.

Let's say you make soap using 1 pound of oil (454g), then your additive is going to be 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon depending on what it is.
For example, honey or sugar will be suggested using less, in case it overheats and become a soap volcano.
Search the forum using the keyword of your desired additive. And lots of threads will come in handy.

If you have never made soap before (and it sounds like this is true), then I strongly recommend you do NOT add a lot of other stuff right away.

Learn how to make soap -- water, fat, and NaOH -- first and then branch out. The other additives are going to complicate matters and make it much more likely you are going to have problems. As a beginner, start simple so you know the basics.

Why are you adding glycerin? Soap naturally contains glycerin. Adding even more may make your soap softer and more prone to sweating in humid weather.

Why are you adding cocamide MEA? It is a synthetic surfactant. While some cleansing bars contain this type of ingredient, it is not something a person should be using for their first batch or two. Learn to make soap first, so you know how saponification works, then add the syndet and see how that changes things.

Latest posts

Back