School supply rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow thats nuts, I just bought school supplies for a lady at work's children, I think 4th and 6th grades.. Only spent $35 at walmart for both of them and was able to get everything from both lists. Granted our schools dont require any fancy stuff like earbuds and laptops but still I bought ALL the paper products, pens, calcs and what not for $35, It can be done. its for school does not have to be the best brands and nost expensive stuff

I wish I could get away with even $35 each. The calculator (scientific) for the 8th grader was $20 alone, and they specify on the list what model you have to get. They go so far as to specify the size 3-ring binder they "have to have" for each class. A good part of the list are things like hand wipes, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and tissues "to share among the class"... We don't buy any of the character stuff, no Frozen, Pokemon... I don't see the sense in spending any more than necessary on that stuff.

Wow thats nuts, I just bought school supplies for a lady at work's children, I think 4th and 6th grades.. Only spent $35 at walmart for both of them and was able to get everything from both lists. Granted our schools dont require any fancy stuff like earbuds and laptops but still I bought ALL the paper products, pens, calcs and what not for $35, It can be done. its for school does not have to be the best brands and nost expensive stuff

I wish I could get away with even $35 each. The calculator (scientific) for the 8th grader was $20 alone, and they specify on the list what model you have to get. They go so far as to specify the size 3-ring binder they "have to have" for each class. A good part of the list are things like hand wipes, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and tissues "to share among the class"... We don't buy any of the character stuff, no Frozen, Pokemon... I don't see the sense in spending any more than necessary on that stuff.

I guess I am fortunate to live in an area that is not all that "rich" and that our school system understands that. Love my little "podunk" town.

And like I said this was for a lady at work that struggles to make ends meet and she was more than happy with the "off" brands and cheaper versions of stuff that I was able to purchase for her.

That $20 calculater gaurenteed one is available in claass for a kid that doesnt have one. A few years ago it was on my son's supply list, I asked the teacher about it, she actullay said not to buy one since for her class it would only be used for ONE section of the book, or about a week.

another thing when i was in 7th grade my social studies list had colored pencils on it. No biggie I needed them for art anyway, but for SS they were required. I went thhrough the WHOLE year and didnt need those stupid color pencils until the LAST WEEK OF THE LAST SEMESTER for ONE project.

I guess what I'm getting at is for the higher cost items talk to teachers to see what the exact use is you may be surprised to find that you can "skip" some of the supplies

And of course now that you bought the pricey calc for your older student be sure to save it for your younger student and save that $20 to spend on YOUR soapy supplies..

Wow $20 for a calculator seems pretty excessive! I'm a secondary school maths teacher in the uk, the scientific calculators we use cost £5 ($7) and will be fine up to university level maths. What does the $20 one do?!

Wow $20 for a calculator seems pretty excessive! I'm a secondary school maths teacher in the uk, the scientific calculators we use cost £5 ($7) and will be fine up to university level maths. What does the $20 one do?!

When my oldest went into her freshman year of High School, the calculator was pushing $100. I can't tell you what's so great about it, as I can't wrap my brain around most of her math, anyway. :/

I'm not sure what it's was supposed to do, but for that price, it could at least do laundry or dishes...that would help...lol... I have no idea how they compile this list, but certain things on last year's, the kids never used.

Apparently, we aren't podunk enough...lol... But I did get to buy for me too... WSP and Nurture got their part!
From what I understand, the school has the basics available, if a student needs, but they don't have calculators, earbuds, or health supplies. They don't furnish a mouse for Chromebooks, but the kids are supposed to have them... I just shake my head, and be thankful that I can afford to get what they "need".

I guess I am fortunate to live in an area that is not all that "rich" and that our school system understands that. Love my little "podunk" town.

And like I said this was for a lady at work that struggles to make ends meet and she was more than happy with the "off" brands and cheaper versions of stuff that I was able to purchase for her.

That $20 calculater gaurenteed one is available in claass for a kid that doesnt have one. A few years ago it was on my son's supply list, I asked the teacher about it, she actullay said not to buy one since for her class it would only be used for ONE section of the book, or about a week.

another thing when i was in 7th grade my social studies list had colored pencils on it. No biggie I needed them for art anyway, but for SS they were required. I went thhrough the WHOLE year and didnt need those stupid color pencils until the LAST WEEK OF THE LAST SEMESTER for ONE project.

I guess what I'm getting at is for the higher cost items talk to teachers to see what the exact use is you may be surprised to find that you can "skip" some of the supplies

And of course now that you bought the pricey calc for your older student be sure to save it for your younger student and save that $20 to spend on YOUR soapy supplies..

And now I remember why I sent my kids to private school. It is so much less expensive.

I can bet that calculator was a Texas Instruments brand one, huh? They have a near monopoly on calculators and their prices haven't changed in the last 20 years! It's been 8 years since I used the TI-84 in college but it's still $120 dollars. Same price it was when I bought it!

As far as earbuds go, I would get 1 decent pair and then get the rest from the dollar tree. Right around school time they have them in all different colors. They don't have good bass or anything but they WORK and are comfortable. That's the important part. I'm guessing they're going to be using it to listen to online lectures or videos and the like. No need for amazing quality!

https://www.dollartree.com/search/go?ts=m&w=Ear+buds

Yep, it's a TI calculator. I was hoping for him to use the one from last year, but this year's "required" one is a different model... For earbuds, found some at our local Dollar General for $.94, so that wasn't bad. It just irritates me that our school district keeps saying we should be glad the kids get a free education...I do not think that phrase means what they think it means...lol...free education, my butt.

I can bet that calculator was a Texas Instruments brand one, huh? They have a near monopoly on calculators and their prices haven't changed in the last 20 years! It's been 8 years since I used the TI-84 in college but it's still $120 dollars. Same price it was when I bought it!

As far as earbuds go, I would get 1 decent pair and then get the rest from the dollar tree. Right around school time they have them in all different colors. They don't have good bass or anything but they WORK and are comfortable. That's the important part. I'm guessing they're going to be using it to listen to online lectures or videos and the like. No need for amazing quality!

https://www.dollartree.com/search/go?ts=m&w=Ear+buds

Yep, it's a TI calculator. I was hoping for him to use the one from last year, but this year's "required" one is a different model... For earbuds, found some at our local Dollar General for $.94, so that wasn't bad. It just irritates me that our school district keeps saying we should be glad the kids get a free education...I do not think that phrase means what they think it means...lol...free education, my butt.

Yes, that's frustrating that they say that. I've never heard a teacher or any school member say that before. Most are aware that taxes pay for the school so they don't go around saying that. Of course, it's typically cheaper than private schools! My mom is a teacher and so much has changed recently (in the last 2 years). They teach via laptop now! For 5th graders! Crazy! Still, it's a good thing in a lot of ways but a lot is changing!

Yes, that's frustrating that they say that. I've never heard a teacher or any school member say that before. Most are aware that taxes pay for the school so they don't go around saying that. Of course, it's typically cheaper than private schools! My mom is a teacher and so much has changed recently (in the last 2 years). They teach via laptop now! For 5th graders! Crazy! Still, it's a good thing in a lot of ways but a lot is changing!

It actually irritates me when anyone says anything that our taxes pay for is free. Don't get me wrong, I fully support taxation to pay for services. But calling them free or the people who use them 'freeloaders' irks the heck out of me. I have paid taxes to provide services to the people of my community, counties, state(s), and nation for over 50 years and I am happy to do it. But none of it is 'free'.

I just wish that the poor were not being burdened with expenses that my tax dollars used to pay for a mere 25 years ago. School supplies being a case in point.

Neither the list nor the cost surprise me much, given cost of living and what how our society is. Too many kids, too few taxpayers, and too little respect by some for what has been provided for "free" by teachers and taxpayers. Nothing is cheap - just compare to your most recent soap supply purchases.

Teachers are in a hard place with dwindling taxpayer/gov funding - they must estimate the year ahead, with an attempt to start every student on equal footing. Also teachers must be mindful of how to spend their limited time in the classroom (troubleshooting cheap dollarstore calculators?).

But I get your point, so I recommend not buying everything now, reusing leftover supplies from last year, and holding kids accountable for what they get. Also be involved in parent-teachers associations & conferences. I don't mean to sound harsh or preachy, but I know several teachers with major uphill battles. Also my husband and I never had kids yet we've paid our shares of school taxes & bonds. I agree that "it takes a village" and I am glad to contribute; but I also feel that the hut is where most of the responsibility lies.

My children went to one private school where the school would "bulk buy" the supplies. If you wanted to buy in, you could. It was, I think, about $100 for both of them. When they switched to a different school, that did not offer the "bulk buy", I spent easily $150 per child. That was several years ago, and I started at the dollar stores so to save every penny possible.

If any of you are on the PTA, and want to raise a little money, offering bulk buys on supplies is an excellent way to do it. I would pay a little extra to just skip the shopping.

In a lot of places they can't anymore, although it depends heavily on the school. Education budgets have been cut, and cut again and cut some more to the point where teachers spend their own money on materials for their classrooms.

That's not quite true. The last 2 years the appropriations committee allotted more than what was requested by the president and has been a HUGE increase from 3 years ago. But the 3 years prior to that last 2 were severely under-funded as compared to the requested budget.

Here is a link to the Dept of educations budget since 1980 http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/history/edhistory.pdf

This page has a lot of info on national budget and state budgets.
http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/history/index.html

Back in the "good old days" (I'm 57)....I grew up in the Los Angeles city school system and my parents didn't have to pay for anything except my clothes and lunch. Never paid for field trips, etc. My kids grew up in a well-to-do town and we had to pay for everything. The local stores would have the teachers list of supplies posted for you, which was convenient, but I will always remember the dad looking for someone to split a ream of paper and other supplies as he couldn't afford everything. Our tax dollars at work. :think:

Back