Need help finding Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melrose

Reaction score
So, I thought I was ready to go with my first batch, but I cannot find lye anywhere in my area. I have been out all morning! The guy at Home Depot used some unkind words when I asked for it. I am new to all of this, so I truly have no clue where to go. I have read so much about people using the wrong product accidentally, and am fearful of making similar mistakes. I would love some help with brand names, retailers, etc.

Thanks to all for the help and answers to my questions thus far. I might actually get to make some soap soon...and let my hair down and stop souding like an idiot!

Mel :)

Do you have a Tru Value Hardware store in your area?

They usually sell Rooto 100% lye......DoItBest tends to have it too. Those would get you enough lye to start making soap, although if you like it, I would look for some chemical suppliers, online, and otherwise to get it in bulk.

Home Depot and Lowes are usually useless now.....they stopped carrying it.

I've read somewhere that Lowe's has 100% lye, mine doesn't -- the only place close to me that sells lye is True Value hardware. 16 oz bottles are 3.99 there. The brand is Rooto-- I think lowes brand is Roebic? Also check etsy.com-- there's a seller on there selling it. HTH!

Edit:whoops posted at the same time! :D

Soapmomma said:
I've read somewhere that Lowe's has 100% lye, mine doesn't -- the only place close to me that sells lye is True Value hardware. 16 oz bottles are 3.99 there. The brand is Rooto-- I think lowes brand is Roebic? Also check etsy.com-- there's a seller on there selling it. HTH!

Edit:whoops posted at the same time! :D
Lowes has been clearancing theirs out in my area, so that might be why you can't find it...

AAA Chemicals on line seems to have good prices...

I get my lye from my local ACE Hardware. I used to go into the store and by it by the 1 lb bottle, but once I upped my production, I found that I could order cases of 12 bottles at a bulk discount price and have them shipped to my ACE free of charge. I just have to pick them up when they arrive. Easy peasy!

andreabadgley said:
I get my lye from my local ACE Hardware. I used to go into the store and by it by the 1 lb bottle, but once I upped my production, I found that I could order cases of 12 bottles at a bulk discount price and have them shipped to my ACE free of charge. I just have to pick them up when they arrive. Easy peasy!

That's an excellent idea! I think I'll go ask mine. My local True value already thinks I'm a major meth producer, wait'll I ask em for a case :lol:

https://www.thelyeguy.com/

They have good fast service and the lye seems good (buts its the only lye i've ever used so what do i know :wink: )

I ordered from here because the price was good (for a small amount etc.) and shipping by fedex. Good service.

Thanks everyone

I completely forgot about Ace Hardware! There is a store only 2 miles from my house. They had tons on the shelf. It was $4.49 for 16 oz. I got two to get me started. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Back