Question About Cologne Fragrance Oil Dupes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freewheeler

Reaction score
Greetings,

There are also a ton of fragrance oil websites with endless cologne type fragrance oils or a claim that they can match your favorite cologne. Has anyone had a good experience where you were actually surprised how close they came to the real thing?

I ask because I have tried a few places now regarding colognes that I wanted to use in grooming products for men, but they were nothing like the actual cologne and not only that, but the scent seemed to disappear instantly.

The thing is that it doesn't have to be perfect. I totally understand that colognes can't be matched perfectly because there are ingredients that are not listed beyond the notes, but it should be a somewhat similar version in that the same top, middle and basenotes were used and come through in the scent.

I find many of the dupes to smell cheap and sickly, concentrating mainly on the top notes and are totally devoid of the charm and nuances of the originals they attempt to ape.

I ordered Michael Kors from The Fragrance House and they claimed it was the 2001 version that has since been reformulated. It was nothing like the cologne and have since ordered the same from a few other fragrance houses and it seems quite clear that they order from the same distributor, because I got the same product over and over again.

Michel Kors 2001 is supposed to be a thick, boozy, heavy tobacco, dried fruit, spicy, leather, woodsy with seemingly a splash of gasoline. The fragrance oils are nothing like this. Michael Kors is actually offensive to some as it's kind of harsh - that is the charm of it - it's a real man's man cologne. These dupes are the least offensive thing possible.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Michael-Kors/Michael-for-Men-2417.html

I just don't want to order from a bunch of places that get the cologne dupes from the same distributor. I would rather know that they made the attempt to match it by reverse engineering it and by nose. Not just order the from a source that buys all their cologne dupes from major distributor that supplies thousands of fragrance companies.

Can anyone recommend a source that truly has great cologne fragrance oils that are very close to the real thing or am I searching for something that doesn't exist and I would better off to try to make my own version of the cologne by mixing a bunch of fragrance oils to get to the scent that I want?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back