I feel like a little kid again!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
Last night, the SO and I went into Vegas to have a nice dinner and see Penn & Teller, since I'd never seen them and it had been double digit years since he'd last seen them. Dinner was lovely, little place called Monta Ramen on Spring Mtn. It was packed, on a Monday evening. I can absolutely understand why, too. The food was excellent even if I don't know what some of what I ate is. We'll definitely hit that place up again. We decided to splurge on a fancy dessert at a place called Raku Sweets, right there in the same shopping center. Neat, and the desserts were beautiful, but eh. I wasn't impressed enough to go back there again. Dessert cost almost twice what dinner did, even before adding tips.

Then we went to see Penn & Teller. There's a merch counter on your way into the auditorium, I went over to look at what they had while we were in line after they opened the gates. "A Perfectly Ordinary Deck of Cards". Uh huh. Suuure they are. A magic kit! Cue me giving the SO the best darn puppy dog eyes ever. I've wanted a magic kit since I was a kid. Asked for that, and things like legos and tinkertoys and erector sets every year as a kid for birthday and Christmas. Always wound up getting barbie dolls and stuffed animals and pretend kitchen stuff that I was then expected to just go nuts with excitement over getting. :neutral: Gee. Thanks. It's exactly what I wanted.

So, he got me the magic kit. :grin: And a deck of the Perfectly Ordinary Cards. :grin: :grin: I must have looked about six years old, clutching the box to me and grinning ear to ear bouncing along as we were leaving after the show. I know I got a number of bemused looks from people. It was with considerable difficulty that I restrained myself and waited until we were home before opening the box and looking through it. So for the next week or two I expect to be playing with my new magic kit, working out how to do some of the tricks and just in general having fun with regressing to about 12 years old.

ETA: The show was really neat. Some of the tricks (the 'classic' tricks) they made no secret of how they were done, but that was often a distraction while they were working another trick entirely. Quite a few things I have absolutely NO clue how they managed. Teller is funny. Penn's kind of a jerk, at least his stage persona.

Last edited:
Ahhh that sounds so great! My workplace sent me to Vegas last year for a tradeshow and I was so sad I couldn't see Penn & Teller! I got a Penn & Teller shirt anyway (which I'm actually wearing today) lol. I'd definitely love to see them.

Good luck with your magic tricks! :D

I'm sure he loved the look on your face when he said he'd buy the stuff for you. It's wonderful to have a child-like experience as an adult. That's why Disney World is still my favorite vacation spot. Every time during the trip I have that "moment", and it is so wonderful.

Thanks for sharing..... Now to check rates at Disney for New Years....

Several years ago we were in Vegas (for some event or other) with friends. Our youngest kids weren't 21 yet so we sent them to the Penn & Teller show. They had the best time! I don't remember what us "grown-ups" were doing but I remember thinking "I wish I'd gone to Penn & Teller since it sounds like they had a lot more fun than we did!"

Ooh I went through a geeky magician phase. Glad you finally got your toys! I didn't have building blocks as a kid, now I hog them when I visit the nephews :angel:

Hahaha, Millie, me too with the building toys!

magickit-1597.jpg

My shiny new toys! Gonna blow my niece and nephew's (8 and 5 respectively) minds tomorrow by being able to tell them what card they choose out of my Perfectly Ordinary Deck of Cards. :twisted:

Krista, I understand completely. I remember a few family gatherings where I wound up deciding I'd rather hang with the kids than the adults, because the kids were having a lot more fun!

Yea, the SO got a kick out my reaction to the magic kit and cards. He grins back at me every time he looks at me and I'm gone all goofy again. He doesn't get to buy stuff for me very often. There's not a lot that I want usually, and those few things that I do I usually have my own money available for.

Back