Coloring Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2*0,05 ml
means
2 times 0.05 milliliters = 0.10 milliliters

Captain is using a comma (,) as his decimal point. In the US, we use the period (.) instead.

He is also using an asterisk (*) as the multiplication symbol. That's becoming more and more common, since the * for multiplication is used in spreadsheets and computer programming. I have to remember to use the "X" symbol here on SMF for multiplication, because I normally use a "*" symbol too.

Can you explain what 2*9,05 means? I'm making my first lavender EO soap later this morning using, I hope, the feathered mantra swirl technique, and I want it to have white, lilac, and a purple I have both the ultramarine colors you mentioned and I may have some red mica; but I have no idea what those figures mean. There are so man abbreviations that experienced soapers use that we newbies are clueless about figuring them out! :) Maybe we need someone to post something in a permanent files of all of these abbreviations. Any volunteers?

2*0,05 ml
means
2 times 0.05 milliliters = 0.10 milliliters

Captain is using a comma (,) as his decimal point. In the US, we use the period (.) instead.

He is also using an asterisk (*) as the multiplication symbol. That's becoming more and more common, since the * for multiplication is used in spreadsheets and computer programming. I have to remember to use the "X" symbol here on SMF for multiplication, because I normally use a "*" symbol too.

That is absolutely right. Thank you so much for explaining (alot better than i could have)!

I will try to keep this in mind and use "." and "X".
I have a tiny measuring spoon that hold 0.05 ml and it looks like this. I find it's really helpful when working with pigments.

måttsked.JPG

For Irish Lass

Irish Lass,

Two questions came up for me, first about the putting the soap in the preheated 200F oven, then turning it off and leaving overnight. Is that low enough for me to put in my silicone mold? I notice other people go higher(170F) which they say won't work with the silicone molds.

I was also wondering what exactly you do with the fondant mat. Do you cut a piece off and just line only the bottom of the mold or do you line the whole mold? If you line the whole mold is there a trick to get a proper fit?

I love the idea of getting some textured pattern on the soap as part of the design element. It's really pretty!

June

Hi June!

I'll help start things off by sharing some of my soap photos and then describe how I achieved the colors:

IMG_0008OldCameraResizedBlackberrySage640.JPG

Above: 2.2 lb. batch of Blackberry Sage. Colored my entire base batter (7 cups worth) with 1 1/4 tsp. TD. The green consists of 1 smidge (i.e., 1/32 tsp) UM Green powder (WSP) mixed with just enough glycerin to disperse the powder, and then added to 1 cup of my TD-whitened batter. The purple consists of 1/4 tsp. Fired-Up Fuschia powdered pigment (BB) blended with 1/4 tsp. Ultraviolet Blue powdered pigment (BB) and mixed with just enough Fractionated Coconut Oil to disperse, and then added to 1 cup of my TD-whitened batter. The 5 remaining cups of my TD-whitened base batter were then mixed with 1/8 tsp Super Pearly White Mica (BB) mixed with a little glycerin first to disperse.

IMG_2460HolidaySparkleCroppedResized640.JPG

Above: 1.2 lb batch Holiday Sparkle. The gold consists of 1/4 cup uncolored soap batter mixed with 1 pinch (i.e. 1/16 tsp) + 1 dash (i.e. 1/8 tsp) 24K gold mica (OT) mixed in a little glycerin first to disperse. The purple consists of 1/2 cup uncolored soap batter mixed with 1 dash (i.e., 1/8 tsp) Fired-Up Fuschia powdered pigment (BB) + 1 dash (i.e., 1/8 tsp) Ultraviolet Blue powdered pigment (BB) + 1 smidge (i.e., 1/32 tsp) activated charcoal (BB) mixed with a little glycerin first to disperse. The remaining soap batter (3 cups worth) was then mixed with 1 tsp. TD that was mixed with a little glycerin first to disperse.

The Joy stamp was dipped in gold mica before I stamped the soap.

I'll try and add more later.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
HEY! I NEED TO TELL THE WORLD! :wave:

I managed to mix the most amazing purple by mistake! I accidentally dropped some red mica in my ultramarine mix.

I usually mix 3 ml of ultramarine violet with 0,05 ml of ultramarine blue and this gives a nice lilac color. Mixing this blend with red mica and about about 2*0,05 ml more of ultramarine blue produced the perfect purple in my book!! The one i've been whining about. (IE 0,5ml red mica + 3 ml of ultramarine violet + 3*0,05 ml of ultramarine blue)

I was soooo happy i started jumping up and down! Unfortunately this happened when i had finished pouring my main batter, so i over-filled the mold with the new color and went completely mental! :D

I will not rest until i have re-created this.

Very nice purple :). Congratulations!
I should try it.
Here are more ways to have purple color,
-The combination of ultramarine blue and bubblegum pigment, mix extra and save the leftovers for the next batch.
- Mix ultramarine blue with fired up fuchsia gives a very nice shade of purple.
- Homemade soap Decadence uses TD to get rid of the yellowish color then she adds purple.

Irish Lass,
Two questions came up for me, first about the putting the soap in the preheated 200F oven, then turning it off and leaving overnight

I think you meant to say 120F, not 200F (I only pre-heat to 120F). :)

Is that low enough for me to put in my silicone mold? I notice other people go higher(170F) which they say won't work with the silicone molds.

You may have to check and see what temps your particular silicone is rated at, but 120F works fine with all my silicone, except for my Essential Depot silicone molds. Every time I CPOP at 120F with the Essential Depot molds, I end up with bubbling on the surfaces of my soap that directly touched the sides and bottom of the mold. It's the only silicone that does this to me. All my other silicone (i.e., the silicone fondant mats and also my Woodfield's silicone mold liner) are perfectly fine being CPOPed at 120F without causing any weird issues at all.

I was also wondering what exactly you do with the fondant mat. Do you cut a piece off and just line only the bottom of the mold or do you line the whole mold? If you line the whole mold is there a trick to get a proper fit?

I measure out and cut my fondant mat in individual, separate pieces to fit each side of my mold(s). They are amazingly easy to cut. When I soap with my log mold, I put one in the bottom, and then I tack one to each of the long sides with vaseline so they stay in place, but on the two opposite ends I line with heat-resistant mylar instead because I like the faces of all my log bars to to remain smooth.

When I use my slab mold, I only line the bottom with the fondant mat and use the mylar for each of the remaining sides.

I never lay the mats on top of my soap batter, though, btw. I tried it once, but it didn't turn out well at all. What I like to do instead is wait until I've unmolded and cut my soap into bars, and then I immediately take a piece of the fondant mat and use it like a stamp of sorts by pressing the raised design of the mat into the top of each bar. It works great as long as I do it immediately after unmoolding/cutting while the soap is still soft.

I want to make soap in the shape of a harmonica. Does anyone know how to do that?
You can make your own mold , Cathy in soaping 101 made a silicon mold her idea is nice.
I have another link similar to Cathy's with some twist.
I 'll post it for you.

Thanks Irish Lass

Oops! I did mean 120F! Looks like I need to do a better job proof reading my posts before I hit send!

My silicone mold is the Crafters Choice one with the reinforced sides, but I couldn't find a temperature rating for it. It does look pretty sturdy though. I also have one of the Essential Depot larger molds that fits into their metal baskets; but I haven't used that one yet. It's good to know that it won't work for CPOP. I'll check out the silicone mold you're using and put it on my "wish list".

Thanks also, for the detailed instruction on how to use the fondant mat. I looked for it at Michaels Craft store. I was hoping they'd have it since I had a 40% off coupon, but I didn't see it there. That's another thing for my "wish list". :)

Thanks so much for all your help as always, not just for me but for all the other newbies who have so much to learn!

I think you meant to say 120F, not 200F (I only pre-heat to 120F). :)

You may have to check and see what temps your particular silicone is rated at, but 120F works fine with all my silicone, except for my Essential Depot silicone molds. Every time I CPOP at 120F with the Essential Depot molds, I end up with bubbling on the surfaces of my soap that directly touched the sides and bottom of the mold. It's the only silicone that does this to me. All my other silicone (i.e., the silicone fondant mats and also my Woodfield's silicone mold liner) are perfectly fine being CPOPed at 120F without causing any weird issues at all.

I measure out and cut my fondant mat in individual, separate pieces to fit each side of my mold(s). They are amazingly easy to cut. When I soap with my log mold, I put one in the bottom, and then I tack one to each of the long sides with vaseline so they stay in place, but on the two opposite ends I line with heat-resistant mylar instead because I like the faces of all my log bars to to remain smooth.

When I use my slab mold, I only line the bottom with the fondant mat and use the mylar for each of the remaining sides.

I never lay the mats on top of my soap batter, though, btw. I tried it once, but it didn't turn out well at all. What I like to do instead is wait until I've unmolded and cut my soap into bars, and then I immediately take a piece of the fondant mat and use it like a stamp of sorts by pressing the raised design of the mat into the top of each bar. It works great as long as I do it immediately after unmoolding/cutting while the soap is still soft.

Irishlass, I notice that sometimes you whiten your batter with td and then add your colourant, mica or whatever, and sometimes you don't. I am just starting to use micas and oxides for the first time and I'm curious about this. Why do you choose to do one or the other?

Irish Lass's Joy Stamp

Irish Lass, I meant to ask you about that Joy stamps months ago. Can you tell me where you purchased it. I love the idea of stamping some of my soaps with JOY!

I've tried to find that on one line but none of them are as nice as yours.

June

Hi June!

I'll help start things off by sharing some of my soap photos and then describe how I achieved the colors:

IMG_0008OldCameraResizedBlackberrySage640.JPG

Above: 2.2 lb. batch of Blackberry Sage. Colored my entire base batter (7 cups worth) with 1 1/4 tsp. TD. The green consists of 1 smidge (i.e., 1/32 tsp) UM Green powder (WSP) mixed with just enough glycerin to disperse the powder, and then added to 1 cup of my TD-whitened batter. The purple consists of 1/4 tsp. Fired-Up Fuschia powdered pigment (BB) blended with 1/4 tsp. Ultraviolet Blue powdered pigment (BB) and mixed with just enough Fractionated Coconut Oil to disperse, and then added to 1 cup of my TD-whitened batter. The 5 remaining cups of my TD-whitened base batter were then mixed with 1/8 tsp Super Pearly White Mica (BB) mixed with a little glycerin first to disperse.

IMG_2460HolidaySparkleCroppedResized640.JPG

Above: 1.2 lb batch Holiday Sparkle. The gold consists of 1/4 cup uncolored soap batter mixed with 1 pinch (i.e. 1/16 tsp) + 1 dash (i.e. 1/8 tsp) 24K gold mica (OT) mixed in a little glycerin first to disperse. The purple consists of 1/2 cup uncolored soap batter mixed with 1 dash (i.e., 1/8 tsp) Fired-Up Fuschia powdered pigment (BB) + 1 dash (i.e., 1/8 tsp) Ultraviolet Blue powdered pigment (BB) + 1 smidge (i.e., 1/32 tsp) activated charcoal (BB) mixed with a little glycerin first to disperse. The remaining soap batter (3 cups worth) was then mixed with 1 tsp. TD that was mixed with a little glycerin first to disperse.

The Joy stamp was dipped in gold mica before I stamped the soap.

I'll try and add more later.

Hi June! I really like that Joy stamp, too. I don't know if this will help or not, but for what it's worth, I bought it at Michaels craft store about 5 years ago or so as part of a boxed set of 36 Christmas stamps and 3 ink pads. I found it down their scrapbooking aisle around autumn-time. On the back of the box, it says, 'Distributed by Michaels Stores, Inc.'

I want to know what you do to the sides to get that awesome pattern.
Ooo oo oo {raising hand}! I know the answer to that question cause I asked the same thing a while ago...
Those are silicone mats (for fondant) I think that she got at Michaels and cut to line her mold...

Thanks so much! I'll check out Michaels and also Ebay. I just love the idea of putting Joy in the soap in more than one way! :)

Hi June! I really like that Joy stamp, too. I don't know if this will help or not, but for what it's worth, I bought it at Michaels craft store about 5 years ago or so as part of a boxed set of 36 Christmas stamps and 3 ink pads. I found it down their scrapbooking aisle around autumn-time. On the back of the box, it says, 'Distributed by Michaels Stores, Inc.'

Back