Need help finding an ingredient

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoticsoaps

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy pyrithione zinc? I've looked online, but I can't seem to find anything other than Alibaba and I have no clue how to use that site.

It's like amazon, only you're buying in bulk. Like half a tonne! Scary stuff at times.

I've never heard of that sort of zinc, sorry. Is it for a specific recipe?

I used to search alibaba years ago before it was even somewhat known. Some sellers sell smaller amounts in the few hundred dollars range and there are some with like a 5 ton minimum. WOW:crazy:

Pyrithione zinc, can be used to treat face dandruff & facial dermatitis. I have my own facial soap recipe that I would love to work this into for personal use.

It's the large minimum orders on Alibaba that scare me off from becoming familiar with the site. Since this is for my own skin issues, I may just give it a go anyway. Although, I don't actually have extra hundreds just lying around. :D

After looking more closely at the listing on Alibaba, I realized that quite a few suppliers have a minimum order for pyrithione zinc of 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs)! So, I will be attempting my first purchase from the site very soon hopefully. Yay :lol:

Just an idea (sorry if you've already considered this)... Honey and tea tree oil are often used to relieve dermatitis and might be nice additions to your soap as well. I have facial dermatitis which is now controlled with prescription medication, but I did have limited success with home remedies of pyrithione zinc, honey and tea tree oil. :)

After looking more closely at the listing on Alibaba, I realized that quite a few suppliers have a minimum order for pyrithione zinc of 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs)! So, I will be attempting my first purchase from the site very soon hopefully. Yay :lol:
Let me know how it goes through Alibaba, I would also like to acquire some. I use a particular shampoo that keep my scalp eczema under control that contains pyrithione. It is quite costly through the chemical houses. Gallade Chem also carries it, which is the company I purchase my lye from.

Just an idea (sorry if you've already considered this)... Honey and tea tree oil are often used to relieve dermatitis and might be nice additions to your soap as well. I have facial dermatitis which is now controlled with prescription medication, but I did have limited success with home remedies of pyrithione zinc, honey and tea tree oil.

Cool idea. I did consider that in a separate soap recipe, but didn't think to add to the soap with zinc powder. I think I'll try it, but I'm on the fence with the tea tree oil. Thanks.

Let me know how it goes through Alibaba, I would also like to acquire some. I use a particular shampoo that keep my scalp eczema under control that contains pyrithione. It is quite costly through the chemical houses. Gallade Chem also carries it, which is the company I purchase my lye from.

I'll keep this thread updated, and thanks for the tip on Gallade Chem. Until now I'd never heard of them before, but if they sell this powder too then I'll check them out.

Uhh...on second thought I just checkout their prices and I will definitely NOT be buying from them. On Ali it's like $15-$30 per kilogram (2.2lbs). I just hope that I don't get ripped off or something.

Last edited:
Be careful with taxes and duties when ordering from alibaba. I ordered some soap molds and ended up paying a lot of tax on top of the purchase price for them.

That is a good thought Lenarenee. :smile: about the compounding pharmacist. LOL, did not say Gallade was cheap!! Only find their lye is cheap and I do not have to pay shipping

Last edited:
They aren't the same, of course, but you may want to try zinc oxide. It's the active ingredient in calamine lotion and diaper creams, it is great for all sorts of skin conditions. It is also fairly easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

Does anyone know where I can buy pyrithione zinc? I've looked online, but I can't seem to find anything other than Alibaba and I have no clue how to use that site.

I know this is a super old post, but I'm very curious if you got anywhere with those companies. I'm so ashamed to say that all the products I use are natural or homemade, except Head and Shoulders which I'm sick about! I've tried all the natural anti-dandruff products and nothing works except H&S. I even get seborrhea on my face and near my ears. I have cream with pyrithione zinc in it that I use for non scalp areas like my face that works like a charm. I just can't get it all into my scalp since it's a relatively greasy cream. So now that I've just recently and very excitedly learned how to make soap, I was going to attempt shampoo and then dandruff shampoo for myself!

I checked those sites, Alibaba and Gallade Chemical. The pricing was confusing on the Gallade sight. It listed "1GM - $129.37" .... as in "gram"?! Am I reading that right?? Alibaba had it for "$40-$60" per kilo, but it was coming from China so I'm wondering about taxes and shipping costs, not to mention quality. The suggestion to call a compounding pharmacy sounds like a good idea.

and i'm sorry but tea tea does not work for me. at all. it just feels like it is with all the tingling. But it doesn't change a thing for me. I think it actually makes it worse.

I might also try getting and using zinc oxide as suggested on this thread. If you're still on this forum, I'd love to know how your search went for this pyrithione zinc powder, some 6 years ago!

I've tried all the natural anti-dandruff products and nothing works except H&S. I even get seborrhea on my face and near my ears.

Polysorbate 80 is a wonderful option to shampoo. It's gooey but Do NOT wet your hands. If you do, the Poly-80 moves like cement! LOL Pour some in a saucer and use your fingertips to dip and apply. Focus on covering the scalp, starting at the hairline. Finger comb from the hair line, working up toward the crown, adding more as needed. Wait about 5 minutes. Add enough water to create a bit of a lather and massage the scalp. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.

I have cream with pyrithione zinc in it that I use for non scalp areas like my face that works like a charm. I just can't get it all into my scalp since it's a relatively greasy cream. So now that I've just recently and very excitedly learned how to make soap, I was going to attempt shampoo and then dandruff shampoo for myself!
Another option would be to add a bit of your cream to your shampoo recipe.

:bunny:

Hi. New here. Just looking through. But chimeing in. Making Cosmetics. That is a site of many products and VERY informative on them. You may find something useful.

Wow thanks for all the replies. I really wasn't expecting any! I'm going to start with making a good basic liquid shampoo. Then I'll first try just adding the pyritione zinc cream I have into the recipe as recommended. Then I'll try the zinx oxide since that's as easy as ordering it on amazon. The pyrithione zinc and zinc omadine I can only find on chemical sites like alibaba and gallade chemical which both only sell to businesses, which I am not. So maybe calling a compounding pharmacy is my best bet. The stuff doesn't require a prescription, but my only concern is that they might have some kind of policy that doesn't allow them to sell unpackaged items that are not on the market, especially a pure chemical. But it's definitely worth a try.

It's kinda crazy how difficult this is. I've tried all the different types of dandruff shampoos on the market that has things such as salicylic acid, that horrible smelling coal tar, natural but completely useless tea tree oil or menthol, and whatever else is out there and none of them work for me. But pyrithione zinc works like a charm every time for years and years. And I've searched for shampoos with pyrithione zinc in it, which are few but definitely out there, but they are sooo expensive! Head and Shoulders is the cheapest and does the job just fine because I know all I need is that single chemical in it. I know this doesn't matter to a lot of people, but Procter and Gamble, the maker of H&S tests on animals which I really try to avoid. But after all the searching and failing to find anything reasonably affordable, I just gave up and continued with H&S. But I'm feeling a renewed sense of hope in all this, thanks to you all!

Latest posts

Back