Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am soooo excited!! I was thinking about making a shampoo bar as I keep getting asked if I make shampoo. Being determined not to make a liquid one in plastic I simply have not got round to trying to make one. So, where do I go for inspiration...here, and this is the thread I find!! I am on page 12 so far and trying to write down all the tips as I go along; Think I am too impatient however and might make a bar of Ginny's original then I can at least see how it is for me. Thanks Ginny!!!

Genny's not here anymore, but good luck with your shampoo bar.:thumbs:

Last edited:
Genny's not here anymore, but good luck with your shampoo bar.:thumbs:
... I am on page 12 so far and trying to write down all the tips as I go along; Think I am too impatient however and might make a bar of Genny's original then I can at least see how it is for me. Thanks Ginny!!!
@ Debs - If the recipe works for you, it would be great if you could start a new thread "Thanks Genny!" -- and link back to this one --

@ Relle - -- then this one could be locked ??? -- it really is getting to be a lot to slog through. Just a thought. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am soooo excited!! I was thinking about making a shampoo bar as I keep getting asked if I make shampoo. Being determined not to make a liquid one in plastic I simply have not got round to trying to make one. So, where do I go for inspiration...here, and this is the thread I find!! I am on page 12 so far and trying to write down all the tips as I go along; Think I am too impatient however and might make a bar of Ginny's original then I can at least see how it is for me. Thanks Ginny!!!
I know laws pertaining are much different in the UK than they are in the US, but I would think twice about selling soap as shampoo. Even Wen was sued over his lye based shampoo he was making with his hair system. As far as I remember it has been discontinued from his hair product line. For some people soap as shampoo is very damaging to the hair, and he now uses a conditioner based system. I think I know you have to pass everything through an Assessor, but I wonder if assessment distinguishes soap from shampoo.

I personally, am not about to test my insurance and sell soap as shampoo. I do sell syndet shampoo bars. Although I realize many use soap and say they do well with it does not always mean it is true. Talk is easy, to admit one is wrong is harder. Fortunetly many customers that do not like something will not re-purchase and quit using the item, but if their hair is damaged you will hear from them. Problem there is, often they do not know until it is to late. For short cut often it can be fine, but long hair not being cut often to cut off the damage can be devastating. So do think twice about calling soap shampoo. Lye based soap is Not the answer to everything as much as many soapmakers like to believe. I also prefer a gentle m&p soap for young children over lye based soap. But that is for another thread not this one.

@ Debs - If the recipe works for you, it would be great if you could start a new thread "Thanks Genny!" -- and link back to this one --

@ Relle - -- then this one could be locked ??? -- it really is getting to be a lot to slog through. Just a thought. ;)
yes of course..think that is a good idea as it is quite a read!! I thought I had enough avocado oil but when I looked I only had half the needed amount so it's on order, but once I try it I will start a new thread.

I know laws pertaining are much different in the UK than they are in the US, but I would think twice about selling soap as shampoo. Even Wen was sued over his lye based shampoo he was making with his hair system. As far as I remember it has been discontinued from his hair product line. For some people soap as shampoo is very damaging to the hair, and he now uses a conditioner based system. I think I know you have to pass everything through an Assessor, but I wonder if assessment distinguishes soap from shampoo.

I personally, am not about to test my insurance and sell soap as shampoo. I do sell syndet shampoo bars. Although I realize many use soap and say they do well with it does not always mean it is true. Talk is easy, to admit one is wrong is harder. Fortunetly many customers that do not like something will not re-purchase and quit using the item, but if their hair is damaged you will hear from them. Problem there is, often they do not know until it is to late. For short cut often it can be fine, but long hair not being cut often to cut off the damage can be devastating. So do think twice about calling soap shampoo. Lye based soap is Not the answer to everything as much as many soapmakers like to believe. I also prefer a gentle m&p soap for young children over lye based soap. But that is for another thread not this one.
Interesting point thank you. You are right that in the UK everything has to be tested...at great cost!! I will check what you say out with the assessor and go from there. I have tried SB from various shops and ended up with dry hair which is why I want to develop my own...watch this space!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure the Assessor is really going to get the difference between a shampoo bar and soap bar. They are testing ingredients as far as I understand. Also I am guessing Assessors are not Cosmetologists. One thing to think about, if you do not like them on your hair why would you risk making and selling them? I would put my time and money into developing an actual shampoo bar (syndet), which can be gentle cleansing and conditioning, which a soap bar cannot be

Agreed. An assessor will make sure that the recipe isn't going to be technically dangerous, not if it will actually be any good.

I specify "technically dangerous" because you might well use a recipe with peanut oil and some people can have a reaction to that (just one example) but it would pass - it's up to the customer to check a product if they have allergies. But while a shampoo bar might be to all intense and purposes safe from a general point of view, it won't get stopped because of the effect that it might have on someone's hair.

yes of course..think that is a good idea as it is quite a read!! I thought I had enough avocado oil but when I looked I only had half the needed amount so it's on order, but once I try it I will start a new thread.

Debs, keep posting here and don't start a new thread , this thread won't be locked.

The vinegar rinse will restore the ph and help lay down the cuticle, but the hair cuticle has already been opened up and the soap has entered the hair shaft, The vinegar will help rinse the soap residue off the shaft not necessarily what has entered the shaft. Think about how a door open and closes and this his how color can be introduced into the hair shaft and how perms work. I say if a person wants to risk it go for it, but it is unkind to sell it as shampoo. Remember hair is dead and once it is destroyed you cannot fix it other than cut it

I have been using a shampoo bar now for about a year my hair is heathy do not use a vinegar rinse. I got my recipe from the book Soap Makers Workshop. It is called Lavender shampoo/ conditioner bar.

I cured mine 12 weeks. Since it's mostly liquid oils I wanted to give it a good cure. Again, I don't use it on my hair. It's a nice facial soap or body soap. I tweak it a bit as I don't use Canola.

Do you need a vinegar rinse after using the shampoo bar?

I've read a lot of the recipes call for one. I would definitely not want to do that to my hair. The smell...yuck!

Is it the avocado that makes it better for hair as opposed to other soaping oils?
I mix my vinegar with rosewater. It smells a LOT better!

I've never been a fan of CP shampoo bars because immediately they'd leave my hair all dried out & straw-like. So I only used Syndet bars and never looked back.
But a post Lindy made here https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-is-this-for-a-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe.30757/ helped me see the error of my ways.

So, I just want to thank Lindy for giving me that "duh" moment so I could create a shampoo bar that I've only used once, but I love it already. I imagine that after some cure time, it's going to feel so much more lovely.
I used it this morning and there was absolutely no "stripping" feel to it & it felt so conditioning that I used it on the rest of my body as well :) My brush went right through my hair and now it feels so silky & smooth.

I'm feeling so good about it, I'm going to share the recipe I created:
Water as percent of oil weight: 35%
Superfat: 6%

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

I infused chamomile in all my oils, not in the shea though. Plus I use a TBSP of sugar in my water for added bubbles.

For scent, I used Tea Tree EO, Peppermint EO & Lavender EO at a 1:1:1 ratio.

If anyone decides to try it, please let me know how you feel about it.

can I sub the soybean oil for another oil?

Back