Soap for cleaning paint brushes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamillaHB

Reaction score
I am an artist who paints with oil based paint, and normally I use ordinary soap to clean my brushes. I have read about a soap (Ugly Dog Soap) that is made for cleaning brushes, and it seems this is made with 100% linseed oil (flax). When I run this through SoapCalc, the resulting soap is WAY out of range on all parameters!
What do you experienced soapers say? Do you think a 100% linseed oil CP soap would be good for cleaning brushes?

Would it ever get hard? It's Iodine levels are super high. I've also heard many times that linseed goes rancid quickly.

I can see, it comes in a tin, so it probably doesn't get very hard.
I use linseed oil as a paint medium and it seems to keep well, alhough I don't know if I would have the same opinion, if I tried to eat it.

CamillaHB said:
I can see, it comes in a tin, so it probably doesn't get very hard.
I use linseed oil as a paint medium and it seems to keep well, alhough I don't know if I would have the same opinion, if I tried to eat it.

Yeah, I guess if you're just using it to wash your brushes, then if it went rancid it wouldn't be too big of a deal. It might be a little more stinkier than usual. If you decide to try it and put it in a container, make sure that you choose one that won't rust. Some of the tins rust big time.

I make tallow/coconut based soaps with added turpentine at trace and use that to clean my paint brushes. It works great. It also works on getting rid of stains on clothing.

Back