Soap Paint

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some on order for my gingerbread boys, but it hasn't come yet. I expected it by now, so it should be here soon. I'll let you know how it works.

Please let me know. I saw some on NDA's site, may just order it but it gave me a ship date of next week.

You can actually make your own soap paints with body-safe micas and vegetable glycerin. I make some up fresh to use on certain of my soaps that I have stamped with my Milkyway soap stamps. I stamp my soap with the Milkyway stamp, and then to colorize the design on my soap, I paint it with either bronze or gold mica mixed with the glycerin and let dry. Works great and looks classy!

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
You can actually make your own soap paints with body-safe micas and vegetable glycerin. I make some up fresh to use on certain of my soaps that I have stamped with my Milkyway soap stamps. I stamp my soap with the Milkyway stamp, and then to colorize the design on my soap, I paint it with either bronze or gold mica mixed with the glycerin and let dry. Works great and looks classy!

How about oxides and TD? Do they work; i.e., dry?

I've never used oxides and TD as soap paints, just sparkly mica (I like that sparkly, shimmery look), but I don't see why they wouldn't work. You could experiment on a scrap bar of soap and see how it goes.

IrishLass - I'd love to see a picture of one of your soaps that you've painted. Sounds like a great idea!

IrishLass - I'd love to see a picture of one of your soaps that you've painted. Sounds like a great idea!

The following link will bring you to my soap bragging site (which is badly in need of an update and revamping, by the way, so I apologise that I have nothing new on there):

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

Scroll down to soap #14. It's a white and yellow layered soap scented with Tupelo Honey and Matin Calin, and stamped with a Milkyway honeybee stamp. The honeybee is painted over with my concoction of gold mica and glycerin.

Soap #15, the next soap down (Vaniglia), is stamped with a Milkyway thistle stamp and painted with my concoction of bronze mica and glycerin.

The 17th soap (Earl Grey & Honey soap) is stamped with the same thistle stamp, but instead of my own concoction, it is painted with some colorful soap paints that I bought from Brambleberry.

HTH!

Wow, those soaps are just "gawwwwgus" (that's gorgeous with a Southern drawl)
Thanks for sharing, I am inspired!

OMG! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those are the most gorgeous soaps I've ever seen!!! Truly inspirational! Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?

1. When you say "salt bar flakes", what shape are your pieces? I mean, I think of a flake as being a feathery lite, flat piece of something (like ashes, for example). Do you just take your hardened salt bars and bash them with a hard object?

2. The rest of your stamps are so pretty and sparkly, too (not just the painted ones). How do you do that? I'm a newbie, so forgive the silly question. Did you use metallic soap paint for most of your stamps? Do you just dip it in some paint for that, or do you dip it in something else (I feel like you may have mentioned, but I can't find it on your site now).

3. Your tops often have a very cool sparkle to them. What is that? For example, the Vaniglia? What are all those chunks/sparkles? Incidentally, I think the Vaniglia is the most beautiful soap I've ever seen. I really mean that. It's incredible!

4. A number of your soaps are CO with a high superfat. What benefit do you find in making a 100% CO soap? I mean, I would only think to do that for a salt bar. Are there other benefits?

Thanks for sharing your info - I really am inspired by your work!

Gosh- thank you all! :)

1. When you say "salt bar flakes", what shape are your pieces? I mean, I think of a flake as being a feathery lite, flat piece of something (like ashes, for example). Do you just take your hardened salt bars and bash them with a hard object?

My salt bar flakes are grated salt bars. I just take a bar of salt soap and I grate it with my pyramid-shaped cheese grater on the side with the smallest holes. The gratings come out somewhat like the size and shape of dried breadcrumbs.

2. The rest of your stamps are so pretty and sparkly, too (not just the painted ones). How do you do that? I'm a newbie, so forgive the silly question. Did you use metallic soap paint for most of your stamps? Do you just dip it in some paint for that, or do you dip it in something else (I feel like you may have mentioned, but I can't find it on your site now).

Thank you! My other soaps are stamped with plain old decorative rubber stamps that I bought at Michael's Craft Store down their scrapbooking aisle. Basically, what I do with these is I sprinkle a thin layer of gold or bronze mica (dry) onto a small plate, and then I press the stamp into the mica. I don't need to wet the stamp or the mica either- the dry mica just somehow sticks to the raised design on the rubber stamp all on its own. Then I press the stamp onto my freshly unmolded and cut soap and very lightly spritz with alcohol to 'set' the mica. And that's it.

3. Your tops often have a very cool sparkle to them. What is that? For example, the Vaniglia? What are all those chunks/sparkles? Incidentally, I think the Vaniglia is the most beautiful soap I've ever seen. I really mean that. It's incredible!

On the Vaniglia soap, I sprinkled the top with some grated chocolate/almond scented soap flakes and bronze mica. I also used the same flakes inside my soap. It sure was pretty to look at, but it unfortunately lathered an unsightly brown color (because of the vanilla content in the FO). :cry:

4. A number of your soaps are CO with a high superfat. What benefit do you find in making a 100% CO soap? I mean, I would only think to do that for a salt bar. Are there other benefits?

Well, you see, it went something like this: I went on a 100% coconut oil/high superfat kick in back 2007 after a fellow soaper shared how awesome these kinds of soaps were. I tried my hand at making a sample batch and fell immediately in love with the results, and as often happens amongst us passionate soapmakers, I was soon going crazy making gobs of them. :lol: I've toned myself down a little bit since then, but they still remain on my regular soaping roster along with my other 'keeper' formulas. They make great soaps that are very hard and super-duper bubbly, while at the same time feeling luxuriously emmolient. To me, they feel like a super expensive soap that one would expect to buy for lots of $$$$$$ in a high end boutique. The only drawback to them is that they don't last as long in the shower as my other formulas.

IrishLass - You rock! Thanks for the thoroughly helpful reply. :)

I will add this sparkly stamping and painting to my long list of soaping ideas that I have to try. The list is growing faster than my ability (and time) to make soap - kinda scary!

Anyhow - keep up the great work!

Latest posts

Back