Ingredients of so called natural soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I can't understand why if this is lye soap there's a lot of ingredients that I didn't know.
Sodium palmate, Sodium palm kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Palm kernel acid, Sodium chloride, Parfum, Olea europaea (Olive) seed powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium etidronate, Citrus medica limonum (Lemon) peel extract, Vitis vinifera (Grape) leaf extract, Thymus vulgaris leaf extract, Foeniculum vulgare seed extract, Potassium sorbate, Citric acid, Ascorbic acid, Ribes nigrum, Amyl cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Geraniol, Benzyl salicylate, Linalool.

Which ones don't you know?

benzyl salicylate: found in cloves; a fragrance additive; used in perfumes & UV light absorption; dermal irritant
linalool: a naturally occuring component in some herbs and lavender; known skin irritant
geraniol: a naturally occurring component in many fragrant plants (rose, geranium, lemongrass, to name a few); skin & lung irritant
hydroxycitroellal: a synthetic scent ingredient in Lily of the Valley and similar fragrances; skin, eye & lung irritant
amyl cinnamal: naturally occurring, but also synthetically produces scent ingredient (florals); dermal irritant
ribes nigrum: blackcurrant; seed oil is used on cosmetics and so also is the leaf extract as an astringent; sometimes an irritant
ascorbic acid is vitamin C
citric acid, I am sure you know

There sure are a lot of herbs in that soap.

I suspect the components listed toward the end are there because some are known irritants.

Is this a liquid soap?

benzyl salicylate: found in cloves; a fragrance additive; used in perfumes & UV light absorption; dermal irritant
linalool: a naturally occuring component in some herbs and lavender; known skin irritant
geraniol: a naturally occurring component in many fragrant plants (rose, geranium, lemongrass, to name a few); skin & lung irritant
hydroxycitroellal: a synthetic scent ingredient in Lily of the Valley and similar fragrances; skin, eye & lung irritant
amyl cinnamal: naturally occurring, but also synthetically produces scent ingredient (florals); dermal irritant
ribes nigrum: blackcurrant; seed oil is used on cosmetics and so also is the leaf extract as an astringent; sometimes an irritant

I suspect the components listed toward the end are there because some are known irritants.

Is this a liquid soap?

Sounds like they are giving the INCI info for the essential oils in the soap to me.

Is this a liquid soap?

No it's a bar of soap called dr organics uk brand

Sodium palmate, Sodium palm kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin

^^^ that's your basic soap. Palm oil and PKO. Pretty standard stuff. Listed in "what comes out of the pot" fashion, so the soaps are the names with the "-ate" at the end and the glycerin is from the saponification process.

Palm kernel acid, Sodium chloride

Are both optional additives. Palm kernel acid is a fatty acid. FAs are sometime added to a finished soap to add mildness, a little like superfat. Sodium chloride is table salt, possibly added for hardness. All the rest are minor additives.

Sodium palmate, Sodium palm kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin

^^^ that's your basic soap. Palm oil and PKO. Pretty standard stuff. Listed in "what comes out of the pot" fashion, so the soaps are the names with the "-ate" at the end and the glycerin is from the saponification process.

Palm kernel acid, Sodium chloride

Are both optional additives. Palm kernel acid is a fatty acid. FAs are sometime added to a finished soap to add mildness, a little like superfat. Sodium chloride is table salt, possibly added for hardness. All the rest are minor additives.

Yes it's a lot for one bar,

Yes it's a lot for one bar,

I wouldn't say so. I bet some of those ingredients are from a blend of EOs and FOs. Just because something is written in INCI format (which often looks like "chemicals" to those who are less familiar with it) doesn't mean it's a bad thing. What matters is how the bar feels and if it is fully cured.

I wouldn't say so. I bet some of those ingredients are from a blend of EOs and FOs. Just because something is written in INCI format (which often looks like "chemicals" to those who are less familiar with it) doesn't mean it's a bad thing. What matters is how the bar feels and if it is fully cured.

I used them before, it's ok but not really good as mine, a bit drying.

Back