Dandelions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to be careful not to go out and start picking dandelion flowers from areas that may have been sprayed with pesticides. That would be my biggest worry in using them if you go out and gather your own.

A safer bet might be to go to a Farmer's Market and find the person who sells organic dandelion greens and cultivate a relationship with that person. You could ask if they ever sell the flowers and tell them you would like to buy some and why. It would be a safe source and you wouldn't have to wait so long if you don't have the patience or space to grow them yourself.

But, in all the time it takes to find a source, you could probably grow your own. They do, after all, grow like weeds. Just be sure to grow them in organic conditions, safe from pesticides.

Redhead, I think it's too early in the season for anyone to have any significant amount of dandelion flowers available. I bought two (or four, I forget) ounces of wild foraged flowers in May, 2015, from someone on Etsy. I also bought some dandelion flower infused olive oil at that same time from a different seller. I tried infusing the flowers in almond oil myself. To be honest, I put them in a jar and completely forgot about them. They're probably rotting away in some cabinet as I write this. Anyway, try searching for the infused oil if you can't find the flowers. And try again in late April and early May. Foragers will be out hunting as soon as they start popping up. Once they gather and dry enough to ship, they'll post them. The flowers I bought were not dehydrated, but they had been dried enough to prevent mold and fungi from getting into the oil infusions. They still maintained a bit of their fragrance from what I remember. Gloryherbals is the etsy shop that I got the infused oil from and good4you is where I got the flowers. However, good4you doesn't seem to be in business anymore. Gloryherbals is still going strong. (Contact Gloryherbals. From what I remember, she was really nice. She may be able to help you get the flowers. I remember she said she worked full time--post office maybe--and the herbalist gig was a side job. I do remember she was very helpful & that's why I "favorited" her shop. I'm going to be buying from her again.) Good luck and I hope this helps.

... I have made my mom an arnica cream with Pepperment, Eucalyptus and Ginger EO's and a salve for years but wanted to try something different. I have also used Comfrey quite often as well.

Hi redhead1226,

Comfrey (I got to know it as boneknit - incredible history across multiple continents as a healing herb) is somewhat restricted here in Australia.

It's ability to heal is based on it's ability to transfer through the skin (eg. when it's used as a poultice for repairing bones).

This website recommends using it topically for no more than 10 consecutive days, not to use it on broken skin and to be careful if the person is taking any liver medication, or has liver problems. Hope this helps!
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/comfrey

Hi Teresa - Thank you . After asking I realized it was early for Dandelions to be plentiful. Ugggg. Shows you what I know about them. Thank you for the advise. I have someone here from the forum who has offered once they become abundant. :)

redhead, wait a bit, the best option is to pick it up yourself, You never know if they are last year or 5 years old when you get them from supplier. some herbs are good for two years but I do prefer one year max.
if you grandma is not allergic to anything you can make any combination you want, do not forget about miracle Frankincense for arthritis, then Epsom salts. very effective.
Comfrey is really good herb but right it can not be put on broken skin. It helps with a lot of conditions. not only bone fixer
Comfrey is used as a tea for upset stomach, ulcers, heavy menstrual periods, diarrhea, bloody urine, persistent cough, painful breathing (pleuritis), bronchitis, cancer, and chest pain (angina). It is also used as a gargle for gum disease and sore throat.
Comfrey is applied to the skin for ulcers, wounds, joint inflammation, bruises, rheumatoid arthritis, swollen veins (phlebitis), gout, and fractures.

Latest posts

Back