Cream Soap Recipe -no stearic acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you can make cream soap without stearic acid. It is there to make it thick and whipped (texture wise)...at least that is the answer I have received from others. I have attempted cream soap with a bar of my handmade soap melted with a bit of water then whipped with extra coconut and corn oil. It hasn't worked well and I have tried it a few times. The next time I try I am going to use a preservative as well since there is water in the mix...Good luck!

I have tried to make cream soap with no stearic acid up front and just using some at the supercream stage. It will work and you will get a nice thick flowing liquid depending on how much water you add - BUT, it always seems to want to go translucent as it sits over time. Starts with streaks of translucent soap running through it.

I have tried to make cream soap with no stearic acid up front and just using some at the supercream stage. It will work and you will get a nice thick flowing liquid depending on how much water you add - BUT, it always seems to want to go translucent as it sits over time. Starts with streaks of translucent soap running through it.

Thank you for sharing your experience FGOriold, I will finally get on that project too :)

I can't fathom how that "cream soap" from savynaturalista can actually work as a soap.

There's way more free fat -- all that coconut oil and hydrogenated veg shortening -- than soap in the recipe. I suspect the soap ends up being more of an emulsifier/solubilizer than a cleanser, so the product is really a water-soluble whipped body butter.

She says "....didn’t get much of a lather when I used it in the shower (still working on getting a thick lather)..." I expect she's not going to ever solve that problem as long as the recipe uses all that added fat.

A recipe that starts with a shop bought bar of soap isn't one I would have too much confidence in!

I tried a little experiment with liquid soap I had made. It is a high coconut and castor recipe so I whipped it up with shea. 1/4 cup shea and 1 cup liquid soap. It has settled and deflated into a thick creamy liquid soap. Not what I was going for but it's lovely.

Back