Distilled water or purified water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikky

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

can i use purified water inplace of distilled water for soap making?
I find the purified water very handy and cheaper too.

Yes- purified is fine. I've used both with no problems.

Tap water is the one you have to be more careful of. In some areas the tap water is so mineral-laden that it has been known to cause DOS.

IrishLass :)

I use tap water from a Brita filter pitcher. Could that be why I occasionally get some DOS? I've been wondering that lately. I live in a pretty dry, climate-stable area (Los Angeles), and have found DOS on some of my soaps in the last few months. Even some of my 100% CO soaps. I don't use any oils that are prone to DOS, and my superfat is around 5-7%, not including the CO soaps (18%-ish).

I use tap water but my soaps mostly have milk in them so much less of the tap kind. No DOS yet but I'll keep an eye on it.

According to Dr Dunn, calcium, iron, copper and nickel can cause DOS - all of these can be in tap water to a small degree.

If you buy purified water make sure it is below 6µS (µS means micro-siemens) conductivity, otherwise you could also use de-ionized or even better, distilled.

In England, its v v hard to get distilled water so I generally get deionized from a petrol station or purified water from a chemist so long as its below 6µS conductivity.

Back