Cream soap from soap scraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stearic acid plays two roles in cream soap. The stearic going into the soap recipe of course makes stearic soap. The stearic added as the supercream doesn't become soap; it functions as a thickener and texture modifier, just like it does when used in a lotion.

I talked about this with Faith Gratz Oriold (Alainya B) awhile back and she said her trials showed stearic as soap made the texture fluffier and stearic as supercream made the texture thicker and more opaque. I also suspect a lot of stearic as supercream adds to the waxy skin feel that she and I have observed, although I defer to her much greater experience with cream soap. I'm really a newbie at it.

Faith also wrote:
"...I have done many experiments with low to no stearic acid up front and no to low stearic acid as a supercream and they all start out fine but eventually want to turn translucent and lose their opaqueness. I get streaks of translucent soap running through them or they easily separate if you add to much water to get a thinner consistency...."

(Note -- Remember that commercial stearic acid is about half stearic and half palmitic acid. Also both of these fatty acids are key players when talking about the crystallization of soap. So I think we have to look at both of these fatty acids to get the full picture.)

In thinking about Faith's observations and after looking at a good dozen cream soap recipes, I think the requirements for a successful cream soap and shave soap are very similar.

Cream soap recipes that seem to work reliably over the long run have 50% to 60% of combined palmitic and stearic acid in the soap recipe (not counting any added later as supercream). Ones that didn't perform as well over time had considerably less stearic-palmitic in the soap recipe.

The key here is "over time." Recipes with less stearic-palmitic might be fine at first, but don't keep the correct texture and consistency as time passes. That's what I'm wondering will happen with you guys' experiments with soap scraps. I suspect there may not be enough stearic-palmitic soap in your trial soaps, and I'd expect to see the texture become runnier with time.

The first batch has certainly become more runny than it started as. If I could preserve the current viscosity and texture, I would. But I have it in a bottle to use in the shower, and a little in a small tub in the fridge for long term testing. (No preservative, I need to order some Suttocide A)

So Susie, I'd definitely use your LS with lard in it -- keep the stearic-palmitic soap content as high as you can!

That was exactly my theory.

Carolyn-I have looked at making cream soaps from the same time I started looking at making liquid soap. It just seemed too unnecessarily complicated to me. This uses stuff I already have-bar soap scraps and leftover tester bars, and liquid soap paste. It also is ready the same day, no letting it rot. I may be wrong, and these experiments may completely fail, but I am going to be guilty of finding out.

Note:

Too much water. Need to cook some out.

I tried it and love it, but still don't know how the texture will be in few months but so far I like it. Can I add surfactant to the original recipe? At what stage? Also, if I melt the cp scrap in liquid soap (instead of in distilled water) will it add enough KoH?

I don't use surfactants, so I am no help there. But I used the 80:20 ratio of KOH to NaOH soaps. I don't know how this will be long term, either. My second batch is not staying together, but I still think I have too much liquid in there.

First batch is still holding together. It is losing volume due to the air coming out. I much prefer the non-whipped texture. But it is an odd texture. Really gel like.

Susie, my first batch is also holding together as more of a gel like texture. I still have some chunks in mine so I suspect I need more water to get it fully diluted.

Your second batch was without the SA & glycerine as a super cream? Maybe that is why it is liquid rather than creamy?

Carolyn-I have looked at making cream soaps from the same time I started looking at making liquid soap. It just seemed too unnecessarily complicated to me. This uses stuff I already have-bar soap scraps and leftover tester bars, and liquid soap paste. It also is ready the same day, no letting it rot. I may be wrong, and these experiments may completely fail, but I am going to be guilty

My thoughts exactly as well. I am looking for a quick and unique use for soap scraps. My original intention is to make a foot scrub for me and my daughter. Once summer comes we stop wearing shoes lol and always have dirt stained feet.

Susie, my first batch is also holding together as more of a gel like texture. I still have some chunks in mine so I suspect I need more water to get it fully diluted.

Your second batch was without the SA & glycerine as a super cream? Maybe that is why it is liquid rather than creamy?

No, on the advice of DeeAnna, I added the SA and glycerin. I am off Saturday, so if I can get rid of this migraine, I will work with batch 2 again to see if I can get it to stay together. I really do think it is just too much liquid, as the only difference is when I added the grated soap. If I can get a reliable product, I will send it to those family members who are requesting shower gel/body wash.

Back