trying to stay focus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the past year, I have been working 6 days/week, had my niece moved in and have had to take care of my mom more. I used a spare bedroom for an office, that is now being used by my niece. All of my soaps, books and things are in the living room. I have not been on the soap forum, Facebook, twitter or any social media because I have no time.
It never fails, when I want to do some creative writing regarding my soaps, do research, or sit and think of where I am going; as I sit at my desk that is now in the living room, my mom will be in the kitchen, banging away with the pots and pans (I learned to use earplugs). Because my desk sits right where everyone comes into the living room, I see everyone and hear everything.

So I am going to do my hardest to stay focus and be more involved with the forum. I just believe its the best forum and I want to be a part of it. Thanks to all that have responsed to my question and I hope to be a better player.:)

Hi there. I hope I'm not out of line, but I have maybe a suggestion for reducing some of the distraction. Folding screen. You can get one that's a metal frame with fabric panels pretty inexpensively on amazon, and when you don't need it it folds up and gets out of the way. Just set it up to block your main line of sight of high traffic areas, sort of a visual equivalent of ear plugs.

I hope that things settle down for you and that you're able to find time to do what you enjoy.

It sounds like you are under a lot of stress. Do you have a local library where there is a quiet reading room? Our library also had small computer carrels and tables. Maybe you can get some research and writing done there.

Heya,

It does sound like you're under a lot of pressure. Kittish and Isg's suggestions are great. And another place that might be an option for you is a local coffeehouse. They generally are okay with people hanging out as long as they have purchased a cup of coffee. And usually they have Internet so you can get online and research. We even used to provide laptops for people that didn't have one, back when we still had our Internet Cafe.

Good luck in any case, hope things smooth out for you. And btw, very nice of you to take in your niece.

So I am going to do my hardest to stay focus and be more involved with the forum. I just believe its the best forum and I want to be a part of it. Thanks to all that have responsed to my question and I hope to be a better player.:)

You haven`t been a bad player, at all, you have just been struck by life! I have had breaks too, not because I wanted to, but because my health have become worse and I have to get heartsurgery in a while. We don`t get to choose things that happen to us, but we do get to chose how to work either with them, or around them.

I know you didn`t ask for tips about how to get some alone-time, but I am someone who really need need time my own to recooperate myself from all that is going on...

If you work outside the home, could you instead of driving straight home from work, stop by the library a few minutes everyday before heading back home? Isg`s sugestion of the library is a good one, because people have to be quiet there, and it is easy enough to find a nook to enjoy some quiet time and recooperate.

Or if you have a basement or attic, create a cosy place just for you, drape the wall with a blanket or some fabric, make a nook with lots of pillows, a comfortable chair, small table, a lamp etc.

Everyone needs som alone-time, especially caretakers like yourself <3

Wow - it sounds like you are dealing with a lot. That must be very difficult. I hope it's ok to say that we all need to create some margins in our lives by creating some time for ourselves. You are totally worth that!

Personally I have to force it- I'm super busy w a full time job and family who never had a hobby until I stumbled upon soaping. So glad I did as it's a creative and emotional outlet.

Set aside some time for you to de-frag and do the things YOU like to do. ::virtual hugs::

Hi there. I hope I'm not out of line, but I have maybe a suggestion for reducing some of the distraction. Folding screen. You can get one that's a metal frame with fabric panels pretty inexpensively on amazon, and when you don't need it it folds up and gets out of the way. Just set it up to block your main line of sight of high traffic areas, sort of a visual equivalent of ear plugs.

I hope that things settle down for you and that you're able to find time to do what you enjoy.
Yes I thought about those folding screens. In fact I was thinking of rearranging my space so that I can be even farther away from all those eyes.:) Thanks Kittish!

It sounds like you are under a lot of stress. Do you have a local library where there is a quiet reading room? Our library also had small computer carrels and tables. Maybe you can get some research and writing done there.
You know, I never thought about the library. I think libraries have wifi? Good idea.

Heya,

It does sound like you're under a lot of pressure. Kittish and Isg's suggestions are great. And another place that might be an option for you is a local coffeehouse. They generally are okay with people hanging out as long as they have purchased a cup of coffee. And usually they have Internet so you can get online and research. We even used to provide laptops for people that didn't have one, back when we still had our Internet Cafe.

Good luck in any case, hope things smooth out for you. And btw, very nice of you to take in your niece.
I sometimes wonder how I do it, because my niece isn't the only one that pulls at me. I have two others sisters that I am close with and right now they have issues with the kids. But you know what, I pray a lot and that gets me going. Thanks for they ideas JoeyG.

You haven`t been a bad player, at all, you have just been struck by life! I have had breaks too, not because I wanted to, but because my health have become worse and I have to get heartsurgery in a while. We don`t get to choose things that happen to us, but we do get to chose how to work either with them, or around them.

I know you didn`t ask for tips about how to get some alone-time, but I am someone who really need need time my own to recooperate myself from all that is going on...

If you work outside the home, could you instead of driving straight home from work, stop by the library a few minutes everyday before heading back home? Isg`s sugestion of the library is a good one, because people have to be quiet there, and it is easy enough to find a nook to enjoy some quiet time and recooperate.

Or if you have a basement or attic, create a cosy place just for you, drape the wall with a blanket or some fabric, make a nook with lots of pillows, a comfortable chair, small table, a lamp etc.

Everyone needs som alone-time, especially caretakers like yourself <3

Wow - it sounds like you are dealing with a lot. That must be very difficult. I hope it's ok to say that we all need to create some margins in our lives by creating some time for ourselves. You are totally worth that!

Personally I have to force it- I'm super busy w a full time job and family who never had a hobby until I stumbled upon soaping. So glad I did as it's a creative and emotional outlet.

Set aside some time for you to de-frag and do the things YOU like to do. ::virtual hugs::
Sorry to heard about your health, I hope things work out for you and I will keep you in pray. I must be doing things with out thinking, I am an early riser, on certain days of the week I go for a bike read early morning when no one is around, I live by a lake and at 7 am, no one is around. That is my time.

ibct1969, since I do a lot of gardening, my niece gets to help me, first time i had her out, she screamed, something had moved in the dirt. It was a worm, I laugh so hard, I thought I was going to pee my shorts. One other time, I was picking the lemon off the tree, I got her up out of bed and had her help me. When she came outside, she had on designer shoes. My first thought was, she is going to step in it. I told her that I tried to pick up all the dog's mess and to be careful, (if she wanted to dress like she was going some where I was going to let her)...she stepped in it.

Thanks every one for all the advice, have a great night.

Latest posts

Back