My first soap recipe - need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHHH! Now more confused...1st recipe or 2nd?
Why not cut the recipe in half and do both? A quart/liter milk carton (or something similar) will suffice for a mold. That way you'll have something to use in the shower while you're waiting the 3 months for the castile to cure for a test drive.

Why not cut the recipe in half and do both? A quart/liter milk carton (or something similar) will suffice for a mold. That way you'll have something to use in the shower while you're waiting the 3 months for the castile to cure for a test drive.

I second this idea. If you don't have a carton you can use for a mold, you can tape together cardboard and line it with plastic (and I'd line that again with freezer paper or parchment, whichever you have on hand- but don't use wax paper). 7 cm tall by 9 cm wide by 11 cm long interior dimensions will hold a batch based on 500g of oils, which will yield 4 or 5 bars when cut.

I like using pomace Olive Oil, but be prepared for this to be a very fast moving recipe. Pomace tends to trace a lot quicker than regular OO, so if you plan to use a stick blender (SB), then make sure you only use SHORT bursts and not overdo it. I actually avoid the SB when I make my 50% pomace and 50% regular olive oil Castiles, especially if I want to do any colored swirls.

All the advise can be confusing, of course. But for your first soap, why not just go for it and see how you feel about this recipe over time? If you make a 500 gram batch, that should be about 4 bars of soap (depending on how big you cut them.) You can cut one into thin slivers to use at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, etc. Keep the others curing longer. If you let the last bar cure at least 6 months before you use it, you will have a better idea about how long a cure you really prefer for any given recipe.

Since making soap can be so much fun and many of us tend to keep making more soap, you may find pretty quickly that it's easy enough to keep soap curing longer. If that is the case with you, a long cure will no longer be so daunting as it is in the beginning. Even if you don't end up making soap every day (or once a week or whatever), the periodic testing during the cure time is a good exercise.

Also make sure you keep really detailed notes on each recipe, including your testing during the cure. It helps in the long run when you want to make decisions about your best recipe. Unless you have one of those spectacular memories that can recall every detail of every event of your life (I actually know one person like this, but they are rare), then detailed notes are a must for every soap maker.

I would also say just go for it! Either recipe. I would change the water amount though - all that water just isn't necessary. With a high OO recipe it might even be harder to work with (not from personal experience but a vague memory of another post). A 33% lye concentration is pretty standard (2 parts water to 1 part NaOH).

There isn't a direct replacement for lard or palm, but cocoa butter is a great addition at 30-50% with some castor oil at 5-6%. Use your preferred coconut oil amount and make up the rest with olive oil. High cocoa butter adds abundent fluffy lather early in the cure which turns dense and creamy as the months go by. It really is luxurious.

After that, just start playing! Change things by 10% here or there and see the difference! You can make soaps with a very different feel just by playing around with a few ingredients.

Last edited:
If you can wiggle a hard oil into the mix, you'll probably enjoy the end product more. I made a recipe similar to yours a while back (75% OO/20% CO/5% Shea) and it still glops up quickly even though it's 6 months old.

I see you've mentioned that Palm, Tallow and Lard are no-gos, so that makes it trickier. If you can source some Shea Butter for a reasonable price, that'd probably be your next best bet.

I'd probably do something like this:

50% Refined Shea (Refined is lower in unsaponifiables so it's a better choice)
25% CO
25% OO

30-35% Lye Conc.
3-5% SF

If you're set on a high OO recipe, you may want to give dual lye a go and stick to a pretty steep water discount.

Zany,
It doesn't look like it's been active since 2014. Is that right?

I found this site and says last updated March 2013
http://www.natural-soapmaking.net/index.html

If you can wiggle a hard oil into the mix, you'll probably enjoy the end product more. I made a recipe similar to yours a while back (75% OO/20% CO/5% Shea) and it still glops up quickly even though it's 6 months old.

I see you've mentioned that Palm, Tallow and Lard are no-gos, so that makes it trickier. If you can source some Shea Butter for a reasonable price, that'd probably be your next best bet.

I'd probably do something like this:

50% Refined Shea (Refined is lower in unsaponifiables so it's a better choice)
25% CO
25% OO

30-35% Lye Conc.
3-5% SF

If you're set on a high OO recipe, you may want to give dual lye a go and stick to a pretty steep water discount.

Thanks but I only have coconut and olive pomace oil at present, so this is all I can use. When I order more supplies I will get more oils/fats but not for the first soap.

Thanks but I only have coconut and olive pomace oil at present, so this is all I can use. When I order more supplies I will get more oils/fats but not for the first soap.

The fun thing about soaping is that you can literally add any fat you have on hand or put in any additive you can think of. Yes, there is a lot that "wouldn't be advised" but it will almost all make soap of some sort and work as a learning experience.

My advice is to just do it. Pick a random recipe we've already pointed out and go for it. Learn the soap making process and figure out what each step looks like for you. Once you have made the soap, take tons of pictures and come brag. We actually really want to see it. when the glow subsides a bit ransack your kitchen. Got salt? We'll help you make a salt bar or a brine bar or suggest how to use salt as decoration. You've got some olive oil, go for the castille. Use it as method practice then sit on your hands and wait for it. Or... got paprika? We'll walk you through infusing oil for color. Soaping 101 (on YouTube) even has tutorials for using soy sauce or hot mustard as colorants (the mustard might not be for the faint of heart).

The point of all this is don't restrict yourself to oil a or oil b. The point is to ask the questions. Statistically someone on the forum has tried it and if no one has you'll get help figuring out how to make it work. And I just really want to see the pictures of whatever you come up with for your first soap.

Back