ITPS for PVC mold / Design thoughts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
The back is feeling better and I think I'll be up to making the planned batch this weekend. I plan to make round bars in a PVC pipe and wanted to try my hand at an ITPS with two colors but since messing with colors is new to me I'm not sure what method will get me a "nicer" swirl in the finished bars.
My plan is to separate two small portions leaving the main portion uncolored. One portion will be blue and the other white. Now, if you look at my pot at a clock my thoughts were to try the ITPS with one of the following pours:

* All blue at 9 o'clock and all white at 3
* Some blue at 9 AND at 3 then pour white into the blue
* All blue in the center and pour all white into the blue

Each of the above would get the "typical" ITPS spatula mix before pouring into the PVC pipe.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this (I have been known to do that from time to time)? Any suggestions as to which would get my "nicer" swirls?

Thanks!

Kinda hard to tell, because you can't see inside the pipe. Maybe try alternating white/blue/white/blue into the pipe?

I've seen the results of that method on some vids and I'm not too fond of it. I think, if I'm not mistaken, it's called the funnel pour and I don't particularly like that effect. I'll look here for any other responses then just run with whatever I decide on on Saturday when I get this done.

Thanks!

Kinda hard to tell, because you can't see inside the pipe. Maybe try alternating white/blue/white/blue into the pipe?

Working from the theories..... (I cannot claim extensive knowledge on this)

What color is your I colored cured soap? How much do you want the blue and white to touch?

My soaps cure pretty white, I know this isn't true for everyone. I would say, unless your soap cures a weird color, pull out 1/3 or less of the batter for blue and don't worry about separating the white.

The more you pour if a color the wispier it will be. If you pour at 3 and 9 you'll get more wispiness than pouring just a 3. I also think that the further your colors are from the spout the more wisps you'll get. E.g. If your spout is 12 the pour your color at 6 for more wisps or pour at 12 to get "chunky" spots.

If I'm right about any of this:
- your first option will have the least color mingling
- option two with get the most wisps of both colors but shouldn't be too different from the first option
- number three might have a higher chance of more streaks/blocks of color

Again, this is assumption, I don't have a ton of practice

Latest posts

Back