Watermelon Soap, Watermelon Look

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songwind

Reaction score
Since I picked up a watermelon fragrance oil and used it in shaving soap, my 11 year old has been asking me to make bath soap with it.

My standard bath soap is lard, olive oil and coconut in decreasing order of weight. I also add some glycerin for moisture and a bit of sodium lactate.

I was feeling creative, so I decided to try to get fancy. My plan was to have two green colors that I would pour in the bottom for the "rind." Then I would have red, pink and white swirled together for the "flesh," and layer it on top.

Things started off well:

20150324_201159.jpg

20150324_201203.jpg

Unfortunately, at this point I realized I'd been so fixated on the colors that I forgot to add the scent! I left the rind alone and added it to the flesh. Soap saved, but cute marbling lost.

Also, my greens weren't really set enough before I poured them, so I ended up not getting the bottom layer quite like I wanted.

20150324_202053.jpg

Once it came out of the mold, I was very happy with how the "rind" had come out.

20150326_172002.jpg

The cut soap looks pretty good, too. Next time will be even better!

20150326_172302.jpg

This was also my first time trying a fairly large water discount. My last batch of this soap, with full water, stuck in the mold pretty badly and was quite sticky once I did get it out. This time I went with 40% lye concentration and it worked great.

Your 11 year old will love this soap. "seedless?"

Yeah, he's thrilled. Not so much about the cure time, though. :)

Yes, seedless was what I was going for. I had thought I would maybe lay some lines of black in as I was filling the mold, but decided to try that later. I'm still pretty inexperienced with colorants and such.

Back