Pigment powders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
Are pigment powders water solvable, or must they be mixed in oil to use in cold process soap?

If water solvable, can they be mixed in the lye solution?

Are pigment powders water solvable, or must they be mixed in oil to use in cold process soap?

Hey Soapsap :wave:

I'm not a heavy hitter in this area but the whitening agent titanium dioxide is made best for water soluble and another best for solubility in oil.

It depends, some are water soluable, some are oil soluble. Most oxides and aquamarines are water soluble and yes, you can mix them with your lye if you want. A good soap supplier will list what the powder needs to be mixed into.

Mixing colorants into a lye solution may alter the color of the finished soap. I only made one soap with an oxide and I found that adding the oxide to the lye solution will make it turn green (it was a black oxide). The soap is a greenish grey to this day, though I have nothing against it personally.

Back