Good shaving soap fatty acid profile?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engblom

Reaction score
I have been making several different shaving soaps. However, apparently I have very sensitive skin as most soaps are more than what my face can handle.

So far I have learned that all shaving soaps need at least 40% stearic acid. How much of the rest of the fatty acids do your best shaving soaps have? What should I avoid as I do not want something drying out my skin? What SF % do you use?

My shaving soaps have been:
-40% pure stearic acid
-variating level of coconut and palm oil hoping
-around 5% castor
-Bentonite clay
SF%: 10

There's a recipe posted on this site that is fantastic. I've made it and it is loved by many. It's 52% Stearic Acid and the rest Coconut Oil made with Potassium Hydroxide.

There's a recipe posted on this site that is fantastic. I've made it and it is loved by many. It's 52% Stearic Acid and the rest Coconut Oil made with Potassium Hydroxide.

That was the very first shaving soap recipe I made. It surely lathers well, but it is terrible on the skin.

Yes, and all my shavers that use it love it. Said it doesn't dry their skin at all. I did add a bit extra glycerin to it. It's really easy to make and works great.

I never do soap myself, I use Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap (here you can see more) for some time and I am satisfied. But maybe I should try to make my own... :)

Back