fragrance oil in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timley

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new question from this newbie, I made a batch of soap with coco butter, and coconut oil along with other things but decided to put blue hawiian and coconut milk in it for fragrance. to end up with hopefully a coconut smelling soap. At first the scent throw was awsome, the soap was a nice pale yellow, and I actually tried to die a small batch to swirl in, it looked great at first, I was very happy. Now...I used yellow food coloring on the small amount for the swirl, didn't know if it would work but thought what the heck I would give it a try. Looked great, I closed it up very excited only to find the next day when I opened the mold it had turned brown sugar brown. :?: :?: Do you think it was the fragrance oil that changed the color, if so is there something you can use to stop the color change from fragrance oils, and do essential oils also discolor your soap? thanks again in advance

Hello and welcome! :)

As a rule, most coconut fragrance oils (at least the ones I have used) will discolor soap anywhere from a light tan to a brown depending on the amount of vanillin contained in the fragrance oil. Also- if you do a search for 'coconut fragrance oil' on the forums, you'll soon find that a realistic coconut scent that stays true in CP and gives a good scent throw is like the Holy Grail of every soaper. I, and miriads of other soapers have not been able to find one yet.

I've never used it myself, but there is a product called 'Vanilla Stabilizer' that some B&B vendors sell to help combat this common problem, but most of the testimonies I have read are mixed at best. There are a few soapers who say it works great for them, but I've read at least twice as many reports more that say that gives their CP soap a rubbery feel and a weird smell, and that eventually their soap still turns brown. That's why I've never used it myself. From all I've read, it works much better for MP soap.

Your best bet is to read the fragrance oil/ essential oil reviews at the link below to help you decide the best fragrances/essential oils to purchase:

http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/

IrishLass :)

thanks yea I went fishing and found info about this very question, I think I got my answer. So sad that there seems to be no coconut scent that will hold up in the soap, I also make candles both soy and parafin and they hold the scent very well. I like others will keep searching.

Latest posts

Back