Bubble Bath

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie101

Reaction score
I just tried to make homemade bubble bath. I melted down a bar of Dr. Bronner's castile soap, mixed it with some water and Rainbow brand liquid soap. Now, it is giving off a terrible ammonia smell. Any ideas on why and if this bubble bath is safe to use? Or maybe there is a better natural homemade bubble bath recipe? Thanks!

Holy cow...what's in the Rainbow soap? Is there an ingredients list? I can't imagine why the smell. I've tried numerous soap-based recipes for bubble bath over the years until I finally accepted the fact that it was not to be without SLS. Hope springs eternal, tho!

Yup, my bubble bath is made out of tensides, glycerine, a bit of oil with equal amounts of polysorbate and SLSA. Natural? Nah. Safe, yes :wink:

With that smell, no way I'd use this homemade stuff!

I looked up the ingredients of Rainbow liquid soap. Their website says "Over 30 Years of Natural Products You Can Trust."
Anyways, here's the ingredient list:
Ingredients: Purified Water, Lauryl Glucoside (Corn), Decyl Glucoside (Corn), Sodium Myreth Sulfate (Coconut/Palm), Sodium Chloride, Phenoxytol (Green Tea Extract), Aloe Vera Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Grapefruit Seed Extract (preservative)

I don't have any answers as to why it would have an ammonia smell, but I personally would never trust GSE as a preservative in any product that has so much water, and had more added to it. I thought GSE could be used more as an antioxidant than a preservative? I dunno, I could definately be wrong here, I only use premade bubble bath...

Could it be the GSE that is making the smell and it is just very similar to ammonia? I poured some of the mixture into the sink this morning and it didn't make nearly as many bubbles as I was hoping for. I think it might be time for me to suck it up and buy some pre-made bubble bath. I was just hoping to find something more cost effective and still safe for the kiddos!

newbie101 said:
Could it be the GSE that is making the smell and it is just very similar to ammonia? I poured some of the mixture into the sink this morning and it didn't make nearly as many bubbles as I was hoping for. I think it might be time for me to suck it up and buy some pre-made bubble bath. I was just hoping to find something more cost effective and still safe for the kiddos!

I always tell my customers to check with their pediatrician before putting ANYTHING in their kid's bath water. Customers always want to use the bath fizzies for the kids. Most docs say not a good idea.

And yes, my understanding also is that GSE serves only as an anti-oxidant and not a preservative, but I get the feeling reading other posts that most don't try to put a preservative in liquid soap at all, at least for personal use. Can't speak from experience there as I don't make it.

Latest posts

Back