Natural Soaps.. Essential Oils.. how do they afford it!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ministeph

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

This may be a bit of a newbie question, but I'm curious..
I see so many natural soaps scented with all essential oil blends, that seem to contain some of the most expensive essential oils possible!

patchouli, sandalwood, rose, vetiver.. etc.. How do they ever afford to use them in soaps at such quantities?? Some of these are almost $50+ an ounce.. or more!

I could understand using just drops of them in lotions, creams etc.. but 1oz per lb in soap.. the thought of it makes me cringe! so expensive! Is there something I'm missing here??

thanks!!

good point, i didn't think about it that way.. and i guess the HUGE businesses can buy in such bulk it doesn't matter as much.. I guess I'm a bit out of luck in this regard!

I often wonder the same how can anyone afford expensive EO's in soap. My theory is that these soaps are either M & P, HP or rebatched since these require much smaller amounts of EO's ?????. You are right buying bulk reduces the price of these oils, I also think that the amount of the most expensive oils would be minimal if even present. I have tried to smell the EO's mentioned in some soaps and the scent is almost absent, but the names of expensive oils on a label look very appealing, I often wonder if they are using FO to boost up scent and not disclosing. Hope someone here has the answer to this mistery :?

ministeph said:
good point, i didn't think about it that way.. and i guess the HUGE businesses can buy in such bulk it doesn't matter as much.. I guess I'm a bit out of luck in this regard!
we should make confidence that we're lucky guy.

Elly said:
I often wonder the same how can anyone afford expensive EO's in soap. My theory is that these soaps are either M & P, HP or rebatched since these require much smaller amounts of EO's ?????. You are right buying bulk reduces the price of these oils, I also think that the amount of the most expensive oils would be minimal if even present. I have tried to smell the EO's mentioned in some soaps and the scent is almost absent, but the names of expensive oils on a label look very appealing, I often wonder if they are using FO to boost up scent and not disclosing. Hope someone here has the answer to this mistery :?

Elly said:
I often wonder the same how can anyone afford expensive EO's in soap. My theory is that these soaps are either M & P, HP or rebatched since these require much smaller amounts of EO's ?????.

When I use EO's (and I only use less expensive ones), I CPHP so I don't have to use as much.

ministeph said:
kelleyaynn said:
Elly said:
I often wonder the same how can anyone afford expensive EO's in soap. My theory is that these soaps are either M & P, HP or rebatched since these require much smaller amounts of EO's ?????.

When I use EO's (and I only use less expensive ones), I CPHP so I don't have to use as much.

I'm just curious.. I CP 'oven process'... is that the same thing as CPHP or is that different??

CPHP is crock pot hot process. You make the soap like cold process, combining everything in the crock pot and stirring until trace. Then you cook it for about three hours or so until it is "neutral". I've never done CPOP - is that cooking it in the oven until it is neutral or just to achieve gel?

kelleyaynn said:
ministeph said:
kelleyaynn said:
Elly said:

I'm just curious.. I CP 'oven process'... is that the same thing as CPHP or is that different??

CPHP is crock pot hot process. You make the soap like cold process, combining everything in the crock pot and stirring until trace. Then you cook it for about three hours or so until it is "neutral". I've never done CPOP - is that cooking it in the oven until it is neutral or just to achieve gel?

Haha sorry, I just deleted my post and made a brand new one asking for clarification! :oops: I had NO idea it was 'CROCK POT HOT PROCESS!' i thought it was 'cold process hot process' haha silly me.
For the 'oven process' I think the idea is to sort of cook it until its fully saponified, but I think there are varying opinions on this... Some people say they use it right away, other people still give it the same cure period and say it only helps achieve gel

I make only CP soap and use mostly EO's. The amount I use is at the lower level, but it's usually around 33 gm per 1000 gm oil.

The EO's I mostly use are lavender, patchouli, sweet orange, tea tree and lemon, ... with patchouli being the most expensive I use. I have a few brands I check out and have managed to buy my patchouli for around $40 fpr 100 gm. I mix the patchouli and sweet orange ... and the bars work out to a good price.

My soapmaking is an addictive hobby! :roll:

ministeph said:
Haha sorry, I just deleted my post and made a brand new one asking for clarification! :oops: I had NO idea it was 'CROCK POT HOT PROCESS!' i thought it was 'cold process hot process' haha silly me.

That's what I always thought it was, since you do essentially do CP, then cook it (HP). I saw somewhere on here that it meant crock pot.

hp you dont need to cook for 3 hrs! Ive never cooked mine longer than one hr, try i sometime, its fun and you can use it after 1 week.

kelleyaynn said:
Elly said:

I also cook my soap first so the eo scent comes through. I paid $27 for one oz of vetiver but it was worth it and changed the scent of 14 lbs of soap. (used an fo too)

wow dandelion one oz of vetiver for 14lbs of soap??? that is fantastic at $27 per oz you couldn't use that much per pound. I always use the least expensive EO's since I only do CP and like to use quite a bit (60g per kilo) that would be around 1oz per pound. I have wanted to use patchouli for a while but it is a bit too expensive for me although being a base note it might only require a small amount to have a good scent in the soap, maybe I'll try it one day on a small batch. I just love my soaps to have a strong scent which gives me pleasure when I shower. The oils that I use are reasonably priced ei spearmint, lavender, peppermint, litsea, lemongrass, cedarwood, cinnamon, aniseed, lemon eucalyptus & clove. I have used orange in the past but the scent doesn't hold very well so I just don't use it anymore.

I think the prices for some EO's in australia must be cheaper. I don't know why. Could they be of lesser quality.
I buy 100mls of dark patchouli for $19au. I'm not sure if that expensive compared to what you pay in the US. Some oils such as lavender and peppermint are alot cheaper than this.
Generally I use 25mls of EO to 1000grams oil.

Agreed, orange eo sux!! I cannot get that EO to stick. I don't even bother with it anymore.

Elly said:
wow dandelion one oz of vetiver for 14lbs of soap??? that is fantastic at $27 per oz you couldn't use that much per pound. I always use the least expensive EO's since I only do CP and like to use quite a bit (60g per kilo) that would be around 1oz per pound. I have wanted to use patchouli for a while but it is a bit too expensive for me although being a base note it might only require a small amount to have a good scent in the soap, maybe I'll try it one day on a small batch. I just love my soaps to have a strong scent which gives me pleasure when I shower. The oils that I use are reasonably priced ei spearmint, lavender, peppermint, litsea, lemongrass, cedarwood, cinnamon, aniseed, lemon eucalyptus & clove. I have used orange in the past but the scent doesn't hold very well so I just don't use it anymore.

I got this vetiver from a muslim store that sells imported oils. The smell was so rich and woody. I do mix fo's and eos sometimes. I'd mixed a Tommy girl fo and an fo called wine and roses and got an immediate "nail polish scent:, I grabbed my patch and vetiver and gave it a splash and I got a lovely wooded rose scent.

I also soaped nag champa from an import store at $15 for 4 oz in 7 lbs of soap and it was lovely. This same store has a nag champa so sweet they want $35 for 4 oz. I can't wait to splurge and try that.

dandelion thanks for the info. Natty where do you buy your patchouli from? the cheapest I've found is $24 AuD per 100mls that is if I buy 500mls otherwise it is $27/ 100mls a bit too expensive for my budget.

Hi Elly!!
I get most of my EO's from escentials of Noosaville.
I got the dark patchouli.

nattynoo said:
I get most of my EO's from escentials of Noosaville.
I got the dark patchouli.
What an outstanding price for patchouli ... I thought I was doing ok, but this is heaps better ... thanks for the info nattynoo!

Has anyone tried their FO's?

Back