~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > General Business Forum > Soap varieties

Old 08-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Rusti

Liked 399 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Soap varieties

So, those of y'all that sell, how many different soap recipes do you use, do you price them all the same if you do use a variety or do you try to clearly market each bar as different so customers aren't confused as to why the bars are priced different and don't just go for the cheapest one all the time?

I'm just really curious as to how other soapers who sell handle that kind of thing. I'm still working on getting my ducks in a row, but I think I may start selling soon.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4605 Times on 2704 Posts
Likes Given: 1006

I cut all my soaps the same, except facial bars, and sell all for the same price. I do weigh each soap and Mark weight on the label. I am not one to make just one of two recipes since variances happen depending on what oils I have on hand, or if I am making coconut free, neem, vegan, non vegan, Palm free etc. I do like to cover all areas.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 08-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Viore

Liked 97 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I have one basic recipe that may get tweaked from batch to batch (a little extra avocado oil here, a bit more lard there) and I sell it for the same price as my melt & pour soaps. We started off with two different prices, as my soap obviously takes more time to cure, but found that people didn't want to pay two different prices and complained. So we averaged the prices and sell all the soaps for one price. I don't make specialty soaps (vegan, coconut free). I just point to the M&P table when I hear someone wants no animal products.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
jcandleattic

Liked 261 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusti View Post
So, those of y'all that sell, how many different soap recipes do you use, do you price them all the same if you do use a variety or do you try to clearly market each bar as different so customers aren't confused as to why the bars are priced different and don't just go for the cheapest one all the time?

I'm just really curious as to how other soapers who sell handle that kind of thing. I'm still working on getting my ducks in a row, but I think I may start selling soon.
I have 3 basic recipes, and 1 that is the same recipe as one of those, but is a GM soap.

I sell all but my "3 butter luxury bar" for the same price, and the luxury bar for $1 more.
I do market the luxury bars, and the GM bars differently than the others, as the GM is not a vegan recipe as my others are, and the luxury, well, I market that as a luxury bar.

HTH
divinegoddessoaps17 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #5
biarine

Liked 392 Times on 243 Posts

I have 3 basic recipe. 50% olive oil, 20% coconut oil, 15% palm oil, 10% castor & 5% cocoa/Shea butter. The 2nd 45% avocado oil, 30% coconut oil, 10% sweet almond, 10% castor oil & 5% jojoba. The 3rd is 70% pomace olive oil, 15% coconut oil,10% castor & 5 wheat germ. The third one I always use because more cheaper.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
mx6inpenn

Liked 508 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I use 4 oil recipes, some additives vary for different types within those recipes. I have my 2 main lard recipes, 1 of which is adjusted to be very slow moving for more difficult designs. Then I have a vegan recipe and a salt bar recipe.

The vegan recipe is the only one that I will sell at a different price. For that one I use EO instead of FO and natural colorants so it costs more to make.