Petition the Australian Soap Rego Fees!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaseencook

Reaction score
Here is an online petition to reform and reduce the outrageous NICNAS registration fees for handmade soapers.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/reform-nicnas-registration.html

The fee is $380 a year, and essentially all you do is fill in a form and submit with your money. There is no testing of soap, certification, or any other perceived bonus to registering (other than that you won't get a huge fine!), and no rationale behind why the fee is so high.

Given that the economy needs a boost from more small business, this fee is a huge deterrent to those who wish to begin a small business, especially for those on unemployment who would have a hard time saving this kind of money along with the capitol required to start a business. Since this fee and registration does not provide any protection to the public or manufacturer, we would like to petition to have the fee 1. reduced and 2. reformed and targeted at/tailored to handmade soapers (not big industry!). If the government's intension is to protect the public and promote small business, then this fee needs to be greatly reduced or the entire registration eliminated for handmade soap, as it provides no protection as it is anyway.

The fee is rationalized on the NICNAS's website, because the making of soap is a chemical reaction between oil and lye, and therefore a "new" chemical is produced, i.e. soap.

http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Industry/Registration/Fact_Sheets/Soap_Makers_Fact_Sheet_PDF.pdf

http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Industry/Registration/Online_Brochure/Benefits.asp

The organization, fees, and rationale is geared towards the chemical manufacturing industries that make millions of dollars, not towards the Handmade soaper. The $380 fee is for industries that deal with up to $500,000 worth of chemicals (and that's just chemicals, not sales or profits).... which is certainly a HUGE range, and scoops huge industries with handmade soapers as it they were the same - but they are not!

I do not think that the people who required handmade soapers to register really understood the handmade soap profession, the small turnover, and the relatively small amount of chemicals that are processed compared to the businesses that make soap on an industrial scale.

Additionally, soap is not a new chemical, but one that has been around for hundreds of years. Although it is possible for soap to be dangerous due to excess lye, this is not even considered in the rationale for the registration, they are only concerned with the chemical reaction and production of soap as a "chemical" that needs to be "controlled". I do not think that the production of "soap" as a "chemical" by people working on a very small scale has been a huge threat to public health - lye in the soap could threaten health, but this is not the chemical being manufactured or of concern to the NICNAS.. I could still make dangerous lye heavy soap.

I could go on and on, but if you would like to see some changes, please sign up! Thank you very much!

I have popped it on my Facebook and link it on 2 forums i go ;)

Somethink i want to go into down the track but no way could afford it :cry:

Hope it all works out :)

Kristie

I signed too - I had no idea the fees were that high! I've only made four batches so far ... it's just a little hobby for me ... I had thought that it might be cool, when I get a few more, to receive some payment for some via etsy or something - but WOW, what a disincentive!

Kaseen - just a thought.....

Have you approached by email any soapmaking suppliers (like Aussie Soap and Heirloom etc) as they may possible agree to post a link to this petition from their websites?

Tanya :)

Signed! Thanks kaseen!

Soapmaking is a hobby for me, just a beginner. It has passed through my mind maybe one day sell it at the local markets, but after reading about NICNAS and their exorbitant fees..sheesh :?

I really hope they reduce or abolish the fee, I can understand the need for registering but the cost is ridiculous

Yes, it is nutsie!

I have also learned that you need an ABN to register (so they can swap data with the tax office and other gov agancies), which those who sell to support a hobby are not entitled to.... so the hobby soaper who sells casually could not avoid the risk of fine because they would be fined if they got an ABN not entitled to and they would be fined if they did not register with the NICNAS! They really didn't think that through when they came up with this silly fee! :x

Thanks for the signatures! They are great, especially the comments! Up to 115! WOO! :shock:

Just giving this a bump to see if there has been anymore happening about the petition?

I am just waiting for my rego number to come through now - has any of the other aussie sellers got theirs yet? Or did it disuade you to not sell? Just interested to know. I had to think really long and hard about if I wanted to pay the fee to sell and I chose yes as its something I absolutely enjoy and can't imagine NOT making soap.

Anyway, hopefully the gov. will come to their stupid senses soon. :roll:

Thanks Kaseen! I signed and will see what more I can do. I too know a little soap supplier that I think might put this link on his website. Lets work some magic soapers!!! :) (goverment fees = :evil: )

Sadly there won't be any changes to the nicnas fees this year.The fee year starts in Aug/Sept(not exactly sure),no pro-rata either,so if you pay in June,you have to cough up again in August. The Aussie forum is quite involved in this.Some of the long term soapers have put in a HUGE amount of effort on everyone's behalf,all for naught it seems,at least for this year.

Many soapers are selling & not paying the rego,so are understandably reluctant to get involved.Which is a big shame.Everyone is entitled to their opinion,& many undoubtably have their reasons,but we stand a much better chance at getting this changed if all Aussie soapers are involved. We're spread far&wide,our population density is heaps less than the US or Europe,& we really need as many soapers as possible to get involved...If we could organise an onslaught of queries,letters,petitions etc,directed at 1 or 2 federal pollies(small business minister for instance) rather than the local member,so that one pollie gets 50 letters,rather than 50 getting one each,someone might sit up & take notice
I don't sell,but I may very well want to at some stage,so this affects me,just as it does every other hobby/part-time/small potato's soapmaker out there. It's currently illegal to sell ONE bar,even to a friend,even for just the cost of ingredients.That's ridiculous.

I'm glad this has been bumped!

I've had offers from friends wanting to buy some of my soap, but of course I can't charge them..even just for the cost of supplies! It's so ridiculous, I might even consider a letter as suggested by Gekko.

So, instead I've been giving it away..otherwise I'd have a stockpile!

I've only been making soap for about 6 months, but I'm thinking maybe next August paying the NICNAS fees then once I've got some more experience up my sleeve. Until then, there are friends who love some free soap!

The 'fee' year runs from 1st September til 31st August. I rang them last week to ask if registering NOW (July) would I have to register again 1st September and he said no, if I register now it would start 1st September. Which is actually ok with me cause I am having my grand opening September 1st anyway.

It just make me :evil:

waychie said:
I'm glad this has been bumped!

I've had offers from friends wanting to buy some of my soap, but of course I can't charge them..even just for the cost of supplies! It's so ridiculous, I might even consider a letter as suggested by Gekko.

So, instead I've been giving it away..otherwise I'd have a stockpile!

I've only been making soap for about 6 months, but I'm thinking maybe next August paying the NICNAS fees then once I've got some more experience up my sleeve. Until then, there are friends who love some free soap!

could you take small "donations" to enable you to buy more oils ect?

Wachie, if your friend turned up at your house with oils and supplies that she purchased, for you to make soap with, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that? :wink:

Back