Observation: Etsy soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Because I don't have time to make soap myself right now I consoled myself by cruising Etsy; it's been a couple years since I've purchased soap from Etsy.
It seems that not only has the price per bar gone up (seeing many $7+ bars)
but I think there's a lot more artistry to many soap sellers. Any one agree/disagree?

I agree about the price thing. I am in desperate need of soap, since I can only use handmade I have to rely on Etsy or making it myself. I've decided to make it myself one I have the means to cause it's gotta be cheaper that way.

My point was 2 years ago - according to my memory - most soaps were in the $5 range, and $7 were the exception. This time around, it seems that people are more skilled/experienced, the recipes seem much, much better, and I see fewer newbie and extremely rustic soaps.

How do you come up with the 7$ price tag? I'm only asking because it might help us understand why some bars are priced at 7$ a piece.

There are many reasons a soap bar is priced as is.
COG, Market allowance, etc.,

And for the reason of increasing prices on Etsy is because the cost of goods keep going up, (oil costs, lye costs, colorant costs, shipping costs)
All of that will factor in.

Another big part of pricing your goods is to ask yourself "What will the market allow?" Do you sell in an upscale part of town, lower end parts of the city, etc., all of that will play a factor.

General rule is COG (EVERYTHING included, including paying your self a working wage for when you are making the soaps - you'd be amazed at how many people do not pay themselves for the work they do!) X4 for retail, and X2 for wholesale, with the markup or markdown for market allowance.

I charge between $6-7 per bar (about 6oz) usually. My double-butter coconut & cocoa bars are $15.00 each (because I hate making them), people still pay. I think it's crazy but my pocketbook likes it. :shock:

So, even add in the equipment costs Everytime?

No, not the equipment cost, that is covered with depreciation with your taxes - I have my CPA take care of that, but your cost of goods (whatever goes INTO that pot,) has a cost, and needs to broken down to be included in the cost of your product. Me personally, I don't work for free, even for myself, and I incorporate my hourly wage into my soap cost.

Latest posts

Back