Soap cracking.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony0327

Reaction score
Hi,

So I took some pictures to upload to show you what is going on. So, I took a few pictures. The single bar of soap is the first batch of soap I made and I think it came out pretty good( except for the soda ash). The loaf is the batch I made today, and, well, it does not look good. I am not sure why it is cracking apart at the top. Any ideas, tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
Anthony

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

Take a look at this thread: A picture of ricing, volcanos, separating, overheating.

Pretty sure you've got cracks due to overheating. Press them back together as best you can. If the soap is still pretty soft, you can maybe close them up completely, and the bit of lines left will be less noticeable when it's cut.

As to why it overheated, have you posted the recipe you used here already? If you have, could you point to it please, and if not post it please. Will help folks figure out the likely why.

Overheating. Just dampen your gloved fingertips, and smoodge it back together. If it is too hard to smoodge, then you will hardly notice it once you cut it. Posting your entire recipe in weights (including additives) will help us help you figure out why. Also let us know your methods, please.

Soda ash is a fact of life in soaping. And it is easier to get rid of than to prevent. I just rinse the top of my whole loaf a couple of hours before I cut. Let it dry completely before cutting. Or I rinse the cut bars if they get it all over. This gives my bars a polished look that is an added bonus.

Here is a link you should read. I was having this problem awhile back. Of special interest for me was the 35% lye solution. Reducing the water prevented the cracking and the ash as well. But yours does look like overheating. Mine didn't crack right down the middle like that, it was little cracks all over. But like the others have said, use a gloved finger before it gets hard and fix it up!
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=65358

Are you sure this link is the one you meant to share? It's about using red palm oil and I don't see anything much about overheating issues.

But yes, this soap is an example of overheating. And the most helpful solutions for your situation depend on your recipe and method, so please share that info for better advice.

The main problem with overheating is if it has created crevices inside the soap with leaking oil, or soft spots. If it has soft spots a few months of curing will take care of it, but it is open crevices (alligator teeth) re-batching will most likely be in order. Did you use a different fragrance in this soap, if it was the same recipe as the single bar. Some fo's and spicy eo's can cause overheating.

Back