Coconut Oil versus PKO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During the last year I have been using PKO split with CO. I managed to run out of CO, first time ever, so went to PKO as my bubbly oil. With my 45/25% tallow lard 17% PKO it makes a spectacular soap. Thick creamy lather with bubbles I use a 2% superfat in soapcalc which is about a 4% superfat if you use Soapee Calc. This shows why it is best to stick to one calculator. I have always been very pleased with my soaps but this is the best yet. I also used dual lye

With my markets disappearing I have not been stocking up like I would normally do. This year I only have one Holiday fair booked, so things are pretty slow for me

Before I learned that soap calculators existed, the only recipe I used was olive oil and pko. I still go back to that sometimes when I'm being nostalgic. There's something to be said for really "simple" soap that works. I think, sometimes, that we complicate things in search of the holy grail. Sometimes simple is all we need.

I've been experimenting with PKO split with CO over the last couple of months. One thing I notice every time is lots of bubbles in the oils. I always melt my hard oils then add the soft. Still lots of bubbles when I add the soft. Anyone else have this problem? I usually end up spritzing the top with alcohol to get rid of them before I mix with the lye. I use PKO flakes, if that makes a difference.

My main recipe has both PKO and Coconut oil in it. I've tried tweaking the recipe taking out one or the other at various times, but always come back to using it in combination with each other. IMO it's a wonderful bar, and each oil compliments the other's properties very nicely.

I've been experimenting with PKO split with CO over the last couple of months. One thing I notice every time is lots of bubbles in the oils. I always melt my hard oils then add the soft. Still lots of bubbles when I add the soft. Anyone else have this problem? I usually end up spritzing the top with alcohol to get rid of them before I mix with the lye. I use PKO flakes, if that makes a difference.
KristaY - I've never noticed bubbles when using the combination, and I've used both in my main recipe now since 2003. Are you stirring the oils vigorously?
I masterbatch my oils now and have for quite a few years, but even before then, I never noticed the oils bubbling.

I use equal portions of CO and PKO in all my bar soaps. Maybe it's all in my head, but it seems like the two together have a wonderful bubbly synergy that either one alone doesn't.

It's not just in your head, I agree, and have tried making soap with just one or the other, and neither soap as as good as the soaps I make with both. My main recipe also has equal amounts of both.

I think of coconut oil as a work horse -- it does the job of hardening a bar and producing lather. Add 50/50 Palm Kernal Oil and, I agree, there's a definite synergy to the blend of the two that brings the best of both to the formula. However, our favorite hard bar is 62.5% Palm (sustainable) (or sub lard) + 23.5% Olive + 14% PKO (flakes). Makes a creamy white bar with an elegant feel and silky bubbles. Hubby's white hair glistens after using this bar. So pretty! Our other favorite is 50/50 PKO and Lard liquid soap. That combo makes the best creamy lather that rinses off clean, leaving the skin and scalp feeling clean and moisturized. I heart PKO.
icon_biggrin.gif

It's not just in your head, I agree, and have tried making soap with just one or the other, and neither soap as as good as the soaps I make with both. My main recipe also has equal amounts of both.

I definitely agree. I really like the combination of the two. I have recently made some soap with Babassu Oil and PKO also. It’s not ready yet.

jcandleattic;667356 KristaY - I've never noticed bubbles when using the combination said:
I haven’t noticed any bubble issues. I use PKO a lot in my soaps. Could it be that your stick blender is introducing air into the mix?

This is going to seem weird, but have you tried slowly pouring the hard oils into the soft?

All good questions! My process is to measure all hard oils into my container so no stirring at this point. (hard oils are PO, CO, PKO flakes & shea butter). I put that into the microwave and melt. When I remove the container it has bubbles on the top. The temp is usually about 150F. I gently stir with a spatula, leave the spatula in the container, and pour the soft oils in down the spatula. Up to this point I've gently stirred in a circular motion about 5 turns of the container to blend the oils and balance the temp. I haven't used my SB or a whisk, just a gentle spatula. Now I wonder if my PKO flakes are the problem since no one else seems to have any issues. When I do the exact same thing without PKO, no bubbles appear. Hmmm.......

All good questions! My process is to measure all hard oils into my container so no stirring at this point. (hard oils are PO, CO, PKO flakes & shea butter). I put that into the microwave and melt. When I remove the container it has bubbles on the top. The temp is usually about 150F. I gently stir with a spatula, leave the spatula in the container, and pour the soft oils in down the spatula. Up to this point I've gently stirred in a circular motion about 5 turns of the container to blend the oils and balance the temp. I haven't used my SB or a whisk, just a gentle spatula. Now I wonder if my PKO flakes are the problem since no one else seems to have any issues. When I do the exact same thing without PKO, no bubbles appear. Hmmm.......

I think it's the microwave action. I too get bubbles/foam (whatever it is), when I use the microwave. I don't have the issue when I do stovetop. My mix is very similar to yours, I use lard instead of PO. I thought it was the Shea butter though...you could be right on the PKO. I've not had it affect my final soap though.

Oh okay, that makes sense now. As shunt said, it's the microwave.
I never get those bubbles unless I heat it too hot.
I only put my slushy mixture in for 30-45 seconds to melt just enough to make the soap clear. Sometimes there is still some slush to it when I take it out, but a quick steady stir clears it right up. Then I continue on with soaping.

Back