Mechanic Soap Test Batch recipe look ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickH

The Perfectionist
Reaction score
With help from a forum member on mechanic soap (Thank you)
This is the recipe I was going to try with a few minor adjustments to the recipe and with my own additives.
Was wanting to know if everything looks good to go on my recipe with adding Citric Acid and extra lye calculation?

Screenshot_20170917-231141.jpg

Looks good to me but personally, I wouldn't bother with the stearic acid. Instead swap your olive and palm numbers around to get a bit firmer bar. Add the 2% from the stearic to the palm.

Is your pumice extra fine? If so, you'll want to use more. For a 1lb batch, I used 1/4 cup. Mine is really, really fine, to the point I couldn't feel it in soap unless I used a lot.

Also, you can mix your loofah, pumice and charcoal into your oils before adding the lye. That way to can really mix them in and get out any lumps.

can't help with the citric acid calculations, math and I don't get along.

Is your pumice extra fine? If so, you'll want to use more. For a 1lb batch, I used 1/4 cup. Mine is really, really fine, to the point I couldn't feel it in soap unless I used a lot.

Also, you can mix your loofah, pumice and charcoal into your oils before adding the lye. That way to can really mix them in and get out any lumps.

Yeah, it's super fine. When I first got the bag in the mail I was like wth is this.. is a little scrubby, but not like I thought it should have been.
I'll bump up the pumice and just add everything to the oils before adding lye.
Still debating on splitting the batch when it's done cooking and do 2 different colors for a little rustic swirl with the Charcoal and some colored clay.
Any recommendations on what to use as a carrier for the Charcoal and clay? Or just add them in dry? Or just a Tsp of water for each?

I just use water for clay and things like charcoal, no reason to complicate things:)

A two tone would look nice but I hate mixing in colorant after cooking HP. Another reason I mostly do CP.

With the amount of water and SL in your recipe, you should be able to do 2 colors easy enough. Just don't cook it to death before separating.

I just use water for clay and things like charcoal, no reason to complicate things:)

A two tone would look nice but I hate mixing in colorant after cooking HP. Another reason I mostly do CP
Ok. That's what I used last time I colored with clays.

It sucks adding multiple colors in my experiences so far. Ive done in only twice and it seems to get harder by the second once removed from the slowcooker. Lucky for me my girlfriend is always there to help me and she can work on one while I do the other. It's like a panic race while we do it lol.
2 colors would probably be better if done in the slowcooker, but I use a Two quart slowcooker and doesn't leave much room to separate.

She wants to do CP and I'm starting to want to also. Haven't tried it yet.

Latest posts

Back