Silicone Tea Kettle for Travel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my travel tea kettle began to lose it's durability a year or so ago, I knew I was going to have to replace it soon. But I kept on using it until the knob on the lid broke and made replacement immediately necessary for safety reasons.

Search as I did, I could not find one that was the same style, which I loved, was the perfect size and worked perfectly for at least 20 years. So this is what I bought via Amazon and have used on at least 3 trips since delivery.

The top half of the body of the kettle is made of silicone, so it collapses to half as tall when empty (and dry) for ease of travel. It is a bit heavier than the kettle I was replacing, but size-wise, it still fits into the same small bag I use for my tea travel kit.

It boils water faster than the old one, and turns itself off once it reaches a full roiling boil, a feature my old one failed to include, so that's an improvement. I really like this for travel and there does not seem to be any silicone flavor added to the water, which was my only concern with buying a silicone tea kettle. As soon as it arrived at my home, I tested it out for any possible taste contamination as I would have returned it had that been the case.

In the picture below the water is still roiling and the kettle had just turned itself off, hence the red light was already off when I shot the picture. But you can see the uneven level of the water line; that's because the water is still boiling. This whole process takes less than two minutes from the time I plug it in!

Silicone Tea Kettle.jpg

When my travel tea kettle began to lose it's durability a year or so ago, I knew I was going to have to replace it soon. But I kept on using it until the knob on the lid broke and made replacement immediately necessary for safety reasons.

Search as I did, I could not find one that was the same style, which I loved, was the perfect size and worked perfectly for at least 20 years. So this is what I bought via Amazon and have used on at least 3 trips since delivery.

The top half of the body of the kettle is made of silicone, so it collapses to half as tall when empty (and dry) for ease of travel. It is a bit heavier than the kettle I was replacing, but size-wise, it still fits into the same small bag I use for my tea travel kit.

It boils water faster than the old one, and turns itself off once it reaches a full roiling boil, a feature my old one failed to include, so that's an improvement. I really like this for travel and there does not seem to be any silicone flavor added to the water, which was my only concern with buying a silicone tea kettle. As soon as it arrived at my home, I tested it out for any possible taste contamination as I would have returned it had that been the case.

In the picture below the water is still roiling and the kettle had just turned itself off, hence the red light was already off when I shot the picture. But you can see the uneven level of the water line; that's because the water is still boiling. This whole process takes less than two minutes from the time I plug it in!
Wow! I have never heard of such a thing! Now you've got me thinking about travel kettles.

UPDATE: Don't buy this!

It no longer works. I am so disappointed! It's less than 3 months old and already it's broken! I've used it a few times on various roadtrips since it arrived in June, but even so, not very much compared to the one that lasted me 20 years (it actually still works but the handle on the lid broke, so I can't use the lid properly.)

It worked last night (in Sparks, Nevada) but this morning when I plugged it in, the light didn't come on and it didn't heat up. I tried different outlets just in case it was an electrical outlet issue. No good. I hoped that it would work tonight when I arrived in Willits, CA, but no, it's still not working.

I wasted $25.00 on this thing and still can't heat up water for tea. I just got done writing a review on Amazon and also sent a question to the vendor, but no-where on Amazon does it mention an actual warranty. Maybe when I get home I will find a warranty in the box, but I don't recall if there was one. In any case, it's beyond the Amazon return date window. That's only 30 days.

I'm just now seeing this and I would never even think of getting that thing. I almost never make tea outside of home unless there is a pot that I can use in the hotel, if I'm lucky enough to stay at an Extended Stay. In any case, I'm sorry for the money wasted and I hope you bought it off the regular website and not the warehouse deals.

I was in a kitchen store in Anderson CA and the had a heating element with a cord to turn any pot into a tea kettle. Maybe that would work for you.

Latest posts

Back