SoapCon 2017

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so envious. We soapers on the west side of the US need to create a convention over here where it's not a days travel to and fro.

I agree. There is an annual one in Ohio and Pennsylvania does one, too. I've been to the one in Ohio and it's great; very affordably priced for a one-day affair, well attended, great speakers/demos, lots of vendors who give stuff away as well as have many good deals while there.

For me Ohio and Kentucky are as close as it gets for Soapmaking gatherings (as far as I have been able to ascertain) and far more affordable for a hobbyist than the totally prohibitively priced HSCG Conference. Even when I was an active nurse, my nursing conferences were more affordable and I made pretty good money so I could afford it then.

I have been a proud and happy member of the Guild for the past 4 years. I have been to 3 conferences and will probably need encouragement from my friends to go to a 4th.

I love(d) the fact of having a professional organization supporting it's membership and offering learning opportunities from successful leaders and teachers in the field. I liked studying for and receiving certifications in soapmaking; (Basic CP/HP and MP).

However, when that organization starts only looking at numbers and not quality in what it provides, then it gives me pause. Conferences in the past were relatively small; even if you didn't know people by name, you knew their faces. Lunches and dinners were friendly and social. Unless the venue had poorly defined spaces there weren't any lines and there seemed to be enough for everyone - except for the food in Indianapolis - come late and you were out of luck.....

I hated Vegas this year. The staff were not prepared for the extra 100+ attendees. There were lines for everything. The "Goodie" bags, always a highlight were a disaster- since the conference has grown so large vendors couldn't financially provide individual items for the bags. So they provided a lame program of "Choosing what you want", instead of supposedly being stuck with things you didn't want.... Well in less you were at the front of a line that took at least 30 minutes to get in the space, you got ... zip. Unless you wanted a 3x Guild t-shirt with the old logo on it. I do have a nice collection of soaping goggles for guests I suppose. Now if you were one of the first 50 you could have gotten a stick blender.

I miss the conferences where I spread my "haul" out on the bed and looked forward to thanking vendors the next day. I'm glad I got to participate in the more intimate Awards dinners. This years was more of a trade show affair. It feels very much to me that the hobbyist is no longer welcome at the Guild conference.

I'm all for growth of an organization, but if it becomes more about quantity than quality, than good-bye.

I'm happy Debbie May and WSP are taking the reins for the more intimate conference - Year 1 had it's moments, but the overall content and speakers were solid. At this point I'm thinking hard about skipping Atlanta and going back for the extended WSP event. (If you think about going, skip the hotel and find something nearby - it was a disaster). 4 days of conference and all meals for $500 is a pretty good deal. Even though the Goodie bag only consisted of a nice portfolio to take notes with, you actually received colored handouts of presentations and handy resources. The Guild stopped doing this years ago to "save trees" - nope to save $$. I wonder if next year you are going to have to print out your own conference program.......

SoapCon is always a joy to me. Cathy truly puts her heart in it and is proud to offer her hometown in Sterling KY as a venue. She finds new and engaging speakers every year - how special was it to meet Clyde Yoshida who is more personable and engaging than his YouTube videos! She works hard to make every event better and listens to the feedback from previous attendees. Fortunately her charming venue can only accommodate approx. 125 people maximum so that's it.

Sorry for the rant - I guess this has just been weighing heavy on my heart since I got back from Vegas and I could finally begin to put words to it.

Thank you for sharing this, Cindy....I had kind of been pouting about missing the Vegas show, and looking into Atlanta, but I think I'll skip it and stick to smaller conferences. I love hearing honest opinions and your insight on this is invaluable to people like me who want to learn more, but in a more intimate atmosphere. I get frustrated with large crowds sometimes, especially if I sense that people are only attending for the party or the freebies. Not just in this industry, but many others as well. I'm so looking forward to SoapCon! See you there!

Thank you for sharing your experience, Cindy. I, too, loved meeting and talking with Clyde. What a thrill it was. And Clyde was so much more personable than I ever expected! Kevin Dunn was a joy as well. I agree, the size of the Kentucky conference is more to my liking than a huge one for this type of thing.

I've been to plenty of large conferences in my professional career as a nurse, and that was fine for the purpose. But for soapmaking with demonstrations and hands-on activities like we had in Sterling last year, a larger venue would certainly limit visibility and participation, as well as run up the costs.

I do appreciate your experience and I hope to actually meet you this year!

I have been a proud and happy member of the Guild for the past 4 years. I have been to 3 conferences and will probably need encouragement from my friends to go to a 4th. ... However, when that organization starts only looking at numbers and not quality in what it provides, then it gives me pause. ... I hated Vegas this year. The staff were not prepared for the extra 100+ attendees. ... I'm all for growth of an organization, but if it becomes more about quantity than quality, than good-bye.
That couldn't have been easy for you to write, Cindy, but I truly appreciate your honesty. Thank you.

I'm happy Debbie May and WSP are taking the reins for the more intimate conference - Year 1 had it's moments, but the overall content and speakers were solid.

I went to WSP and found a link to 2018 Conference in Ohio -- this isn't the same as the Guild Conference... or is it?

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/handmade-magazine/handmade-conference.aspx

Sorry for the rant - I guess this has just been weighing heavy on my heart since I got back from Vegas and I could finally begin to put words to it.
Well, I for one, am not sorry you got it off your chest. Good for you. I've always wanted to attend but haven't been able to due to financial reasons and also health reasons for the past 10 years. I was tempted to attend the Vegas conference but didn't because of cost, which I could have managed at long last but I'm SO glad I didn't.

No Zany, as Earlene has said, they are not the same. As one of the largest, if not the largest soap-making products vendor in the world, WSP has absolutely nothing to do with the Guild.

I have been "snoopy" over the years to try and find out what the story is, but could only get a vague story of the Guild Board and Debbie May had a falling out years ago and that what was it as far as a relationship went.

The WSP conference is almost an exact opposite from the Guild conference. She is limiting it to 350 people; her audience is both hobbyist and business owner alike. There were plenty of demos for CP and M&P, lotion-making, bath bombs with Holly Port.... - Debbie herself did M&P. There were all kinds of opportunities to meet new people.

It was bigger than SoapCon but I didn't find it overwhelming or intimidating. Considering all of your meals are included, and she promised entertainment in the evening next year, $500.00 is a great deal. Plenty of people had their spouses with them and purchased a discount dining ticket I think. Full price is $1000 which includes your room - basically a 2-room jr suite. I found plenty of nearby hotel options for less next year.

If it's in your budget for a soapy vacation next year I can definitely recommend it.

Well, shoot. I need to make a note in my calendar about when this is next time. We already scheduled a beginner class in Spartanburg that Saturday. I've wanted to go to this for the last two years, but there are always conflicts. I might ought to follow the FB page so I'll be prepared next time.
Carol

Latest posts

Back