First colored soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chispa

Reaction score
This time I tried 95% lard, 5% castor oil. I added 2% each of salt, sugar, and citric acid. I colored the soap with a half teaspoon of tumeric and used a scant dusting of cocoa powder for the line.

I want to see how this soap lathers compared to my first soap which included 15% coconut oil.

The cleansing factor of this soap is 1 which should be very gentle, but the lathering factor is only 5, which is pretty low. I hope the sugar and CA help with that.

IMG_20170620_173302.jpg

Capture2.PNG

I lather by hand (don't use a poof or cloth) and don't have an issue with bubbles in a 100% lard at all. They are creamier in a way. I think you'll defincately notice how coconut changes a recipe and it will be a good learning soap. If you're aching for another batch soon it would be the perfect time to try a coconut/lard to weed out the caster characteristics.

Thanks everyone!

If you're aching for another batch soon it would be the perfect time to try a coconut/lard to weed out the caster characteristics.

That is a great idea. I believe I will do lard coconut next. Three recipes all varying by a single factor is a great approach to finding out what's going on.

Very classy soaps. I love the diagonal pencil line and asymmetrical look! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the different recipes as they cure. :)

Back