Discoloration?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponomancer

Professional Geek
Reaction score
Hi! I have a soap fresh off the cutter and it has unexpectedly come out with swirls! .. When there was no color added.

This was my first time working with Neem but I knew it would accelorate already, and was prepared for that with a whisk, I brought it all together for the thickest trace ever and got it into the mold and well
tumblr_ons02vP4pW1rcpo9po4_540.jpg

There are swirls?

Is still zappy overall and I'm not going to be terribly worried unless it still zaps on those stripes a week out, but I'm curious if this is a product of hand whisking it? Could that be uneven incorporation, or possibly stearic?

Castor Oil 5%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Coconut Oil 20%
Neem Seed Oil 30%
Nutmeg Butter 5%
Olive Oil pomace 20%
Shea Butter 10%

Vinegar and Citric acid were added
And an essential oil blend:
1oz tea tree 1 oz cedar 1oz patchouli .5 oz cinnamon leaf .5 oz lemongrass
It was a 70oz (oil) batch and yes I know thats large for a brand new recipe but I was pretty desperate to use up all that neem oil (shudder) and the nutmeg too just because I'm afraid of the nutmeg going bad before I use it all at the small percentages it needs to stay at.

The good news is its firm, theres no weeping, and it doesnt smell half bad

Last edited:
Pretty!

I've seen a similar thing when I've soaped cool with cocoa - especially if I don't heat the lye mixture.

It's as if the saponification starts with the acceleration, catches on the cocoa (stearic) and bundle up together as you stir.

I like the effect - your colour contrast is lovely.

It is lovely. And I agree about uneven incorporation. But when you give it to non-soapers, you just tell them that it is the result of careful planning and hand whisking (in other words, "I meant to do that!").

;) of course I did, totally on purpose.

I did soap a little cool! I usually only heat the oil to just melting then add in the liquid oils, and of course I made the lye first and let it cool down a bit while I got everything else ready.

Conclusion: Its stearic swirls!

Thank you guys for helping me uncover the mystery :D

Latest posts

Back