Soaping From Room Temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soap close to room temp. I usually lose patience around 85 degrees. I haven't had a problem with false trace either.

All the books and sights I have seen said to soap at 120f-130f I soap at 120 f lye water and 130 for my oils.

I did a soap yesterday my lye at 98f and oils wet 120 it was was really soft when I cut it .has any one else had that is isue

All the books and sights I have seen said to soap at 120f-130f I soap at 120 f lye water and 130 for my oils.

I did a soap yesterday my lye at 98f and oils wet 120 it was was really soft when I cut it .has any one else had that is isue

It wasn't the temps that caused the soft soap. If you share your recipe, we'll check it out - I highly suspect that it's a couple of possibilities: recipe with lots of liquid oils, didn't gel (which is not a problem, it just speeds up saponification) or this recipe simple needs more time to set up before cutting.

But your recipe will help us determine the cause. Also, your soap should be fine barring any mistake with the formula or ingredients.

It's not the temperature that caused this. It could be several different things. As stated, post your recipe and we can help trouble shoot.

I masterbatch both my lye, and my oils and soap at room temp. I could not tell you what the actual temp I soap at, because it depends on the ambient temp of the room at the time. (so somewhere around 75-80 degrees maybe?) Sometimes I do zap my oils in the microwave because they become slushy in the winter time, but never put them in the microwave for more than 30-45 seconds, so they never get that warm - just enough to liquify the oils from being slushy.

Originally Posted by Lunnamoon

As others have said, it wasn't the temp of your oils/lye combo but most likely something else.
When soaping at room temp, sometimes you need to insulate to get the soap to gel. Did your soap gel? If not that will keep soap soft a little longer than if you gelled your soap.
Also as others suggested, if you post your recipe, we'd be better able to diagnose the problem.

I always wrape my mold 2x with old swetters .i soap in the morning and let them sit for overnight them cut them the next day .

My soaps are 40% olive oil,42% coconut oil,6%shea,6%mango ,6%coco butter,
I always fun the recipe threw a bramble berry calculator

Sometimes there's as much as 20 or 30 degrees difference between my lye water and my oils. the lye is often around 77 degrees because I make it the night before and leave it to cool, and the oils can be 110 degrees or more because I've melted them in the microwave just prior to mixing with the lye water. I've never had a problem combining at those temps and have never experienced false trace. the soap comes out fine.

I am not sure what the temperature of the lye water is - i don't think it matters (?)
I melt my hard oils with the lye water - i measure my hard oils into one container. liquid oils into another. I mix my water and lye and once it is dissolved, I add it to the hard oils. It melts it in a few minutes, then I add my liquid oils. SB, just a bit, then add my fragrance or EO. SB again, usually til medium trace, then pour into my mold.

I also do not let my soaps gel. I stick them in the fridge and pop them out the next day. The only time they stay in longer then one day is if i use my 7% SF recipe. That is when i use the lye water that has been in the fridge all night cooling down.

If you ever decide to make whipped bar soap, i will tell you my method for that too!:)
I haven't made whipped soap yet, but I think I will. Would like to see the hype about it. :)

So will OO. But I know you already know that! But here's the real test... now how many coffees worth is the difference between a 10% OO and 60% OO recipe trace time when soaped at 32 degrees Celsius with the balance in CO? *kidding*

The scary thing is that you probably really know this! :mrgreen:
probably another huge cup of cappuccino :)

Latest posts

Back