What to do with over colored soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tersh79

Reaction score
Long story short, didn't have instructions and severely over colored my soap (by like, 10x). It's been about a month and a half and I'm wondering what I can do with them at this point. Rebatch in HP? Make in to liquid soap? Or really am I just able to chuck it in the bin at this point? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Pictures would be helpful!?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Is it fragranced? If not, grate it up and add it to some hot process soap, just after separation and let it cook through with the rest. That's what I would do. If it's got fragrance, make an uncolored version of the same recipe and then rebatch that with a portion of the colored soap. Or if you're strictly CP, you can grate or slice it and blend it into uncolored soap for a confetti effect--if it's a non bleeding colorant. If its prone to bleeding, maybe you can grate the colored, mix it with some uncolored and then layer pour the color mix as a top for a gradient/ombré effect. The sky is the limit. My thought is quality soap can always be saved! Good luck!

You can do lots of things with it, shreds, soap balls, blocks, lines ( if it doesn't bleed)

Here are the soaps, the purple was supposed to be a lilac color and the yellow, well, less yellow. They are fragranced (lilac and lemon,although the lemon is very "green".) I think I will try shredding and rebatching in hot process, since I've been working on doing that now too. pic has a brag shot of those bars, good soap in front, bad soap in back. (Dark soap is a vanilla chai, my own experiment that came out a bit dark but still lovely, lighter tan is a pumpkin ginger spice that I quite like!)

Now with soaps: (hopefully. This forum seems to eat pictures.)

UkR10Ou.jpg

Last edited:
If it's got fragrance, make an uncolored version of the same recipe and then rebatch that with a portion of the colored soap.

So since it does have fragrance, it's bad to just shave it in to a HP batch that is still cooking? I should fully cool and cool a new batch and do both forms shreds?

Does the soap make purple suds or does it stain? If not, I wouldn't consider it too much color, unless you plan just don't like it.

I have done the confetti affect with soap and the colorant did bleed a bit, but it actually looked pretty good. It helps to color the new soap very very lightly, so the bleed doesn't look like a bleed and more like a cool effect.

So since it does have fragrance, it's bad to just shave it in to a HP batch that is still cooking? I should fully cool and cool a new batch and do both forms shreds?

Depends on the fragrance. The problem is that when you hot process, the some of the scent burns off but the chemicals are still there is some form. The temptation is to add more fragrance at the end of cook and then you risk going above the maximum recommended scent level. For essential oils that have therapeutic properties, you could exceed the maximum. It's not clear how saponification changes the therapeutic properties of EOs so in the absence of firm evidence, it's best to be cautious, I think.

Hope that makes sense. If you scent lightly, there is no problem with adding more scent when the soap is ready to pour, providing you stay within safe limits.

I have some soap that I hate the color in and had the same question. I was afraid it had to be rebached right away. It's about 6 weeks old. Will rebatched still work?

You can rebatch at any time. I usually add a bit of milk and voila!!

Latest posts

Back