Fos and Discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbie.johnson

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have only been using EO's but thinking of trying some FOs for more sent options and esp for the holiday season.

But I have a question about using FOs. Most Ive seen have vanilla in them so don't they all turn brown. If so how do you prevent this or work around it.

THanks for any tips or tricks to using FO's.
Bobbie

I only use FOs, but I avoid all vanilla scents. I really hate brown soap.

THere are loads of FO's that don't discolor. However, you may be attracted to scents that do. Things like vanilla, musks, ambers and spices tends to brown up soaps but there are many many beautiful scents that don't turn or may just yellow up the batter very lightly. And some browning scents turn soaps nearly black while others may turn it light brown or just tan.

What sort of scents do you like?

This may be useful to you:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...authkey=CMTEtswL&hl=en&authkey=CMTEtswL#gid=0

I use a vanilla stabilizer with discoloring fragrances. I love Burmese Wood but it discolors. For me using a vanilla stabilizer is worth it. Make sure you get the right one as there are stabilizers for lotion, M&P and cp soap.

I generally try to embrace the brown and do swirls with either titanium dioxide or black or burgundy oxides. Then there is still some visual interest, despite the brown. As real vanilla or chai or coffee is brown anyhow, most people don't seem to mind.

For stuff that goes nearly black, I use metallic micas for contrast or to dust the tops.

I have not used vanilla stabilizer so I can't comment but I have read some reviews that say it doesn't last forever. This is second-hand, though. I do know that if you leave a portion of your soap unfragranced for contrast, the brown will bleed through to the unscented portion over time.

I generally try to embrace the brown and do swirls with either titanium dioxide or black or burgundy oxides. Then there is still some visual interest, despite the brown. As real vanilla or chai or coffee is brown anyhow, most people don't seem to mind.

For stuff that goes nearly black, I use metallic micas for contrast or to dust the tops.

I have not used vanilla stabilizer so I can't comment but I have read some reviews that say it doesn't last forever. This is second-hand, though. I do know that if you leave a portion of your soap unfragranced for contrast, the brown will bleed through to the unscented portion over time.

Like Judymoody, I just work with the brown. I have a lot of fo's that turn brown, I just add TD and swirl it into the dark portion. My customers do not mind the brown in the least. I just tell them not to use a $20 white wash cloth with the dark soaps. They just laugh

Latest posts

Back