Favorite Market/Show Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make goat milk soap and the even unscented the smell is very pleasant. I don't get the "gag" think in regard to goat milk soap. Maybe it has to do with the quality of the milk and we milk our own does and do not keep a buck on the property. Plus I add the lye slowly to the frozen goat milk to keep it from burning.

My favorite was from a guy that came to my table at the convention (come to find out: he was also selling soap, and wondering why his weren't moving, and someone pointed him to my table ~_~).

"What is all this?"
I start my friendly spiel. "It's soap ^_^ Hot process, and glycerin, and--"
He cuts me off. "I KNOW THAT, I'm a soapmaker too."
"Oh, how lovely! I--"
"What's hot process?"

I was a bit bemused to say the least. Why ask a question you know the answer to?

I also got a lot of 'is it fudge?' I had signs up saying that it's not food, don't eat, etc etc, and someone STILL bought a bar and started to eat it. I found this out from a friend that saw the guy walking, unwrapping, and taking a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig bite. I think he was too embarrassed to say anything or come back.

And the amount of 'I need a NATURAL soap without lye in it' made me roll my eyes so hard I was afraid they'd fall out.

Our beer bars are round and at the center of our display so they are the ones that get noticed first. When we tell them it's soap we get "oh I thought it was cheese". Yup an open display of unwrapped cheese on a 90* day sitting for hours on end. How many you want?

Or our salt bars which are all unscented, but different colors. When they stop and look I explain they are all unscented and everyone still picks em up and smells. I gave up as some will say "oh I love the coconut smell". Beats me but if they can smell it and like it we hope they tell their friends.

"What's your strongest smelling soap? I need something to cover up the smell of the cat box"
Yes, someone really asked me that :eek:
She did buy a bar and I'm a bit thankful I've never seen her again at my market.

My favorite recurring question comes from folks who once made a pound of MP soap that one time, they insist on drilling me about what base I use and where do I buy it even after a lesson in CP. Geeze, if I was selling MP, I sure wouldn't give away my base that easily!

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

Good to know all this. I've done shows with my other business but not soap. Going to do a carnival we have at our school that's pretty big now for being a school
Show. Think we had over 600 tickets sold last year and just $40 for a table
For 3 hours.
No clue what I'm taking but looking forward to the questions. I will have some soap this time. :)

I too get the is that fudge question frequently. Same with the does that contain lye. I just smile and explain that it's not edible and you can't have soap without lye and explain the process if they are interested. My cupcake soaps draw people in since I display them very prominently. Most always leads to a sale. However, I do have a sign that says SOAP, do not eat!

My favorite question is "doesn't the lye make the soap really harsh?" Well, not if you don't make lye heavy soap. My stepdaughter won't use my soap because it's made with lye. She has to use the store bought soap.

Latest posts

Back