Discoloration in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christinak

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if you only have to worry about fo's that discolor if you leave them natural? What if I use blue or green or pink?

Is there anything I can use to stop it from discoloring? TD?

TD will lighten the disc but not stop it. If I want to use color, I pull some batter, leave it unscented, color it, then swirl it into the batch. Another trick is to chunk up or shred some colored soap from a previous batch and add that into the discoloring batch.

Thank you so much wildbelles :) What I mean by color is if something discolors, will it discolor a color? Does that make sense, lol...

Yes, it will darken the color. Depending on the level of discoloration, it can look like you didn't even color it. If you want to color, you can either pull out unscented batter like wildbelles suggested, or use a vanilla stabilizer. VS won't last forever so eventually there will be some discoloration but I made lemon poppyseed soap 6 months ago and used 1 part NG's VS to 2 parts FO and the FO had 6% vanilla content and the lemon muffin color is holding. I'm at work so can't take a shot of it right now but its only a little bit darker than it was 3 days after it was made. I'll try to take a shot of some bars tomorrow. There are other chemicals that CAN make your soap discolor but vanilla content is usually the culprit.

Thanks very much....I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Peak and lots of it said it discolored. I wonder how weird it would be if I had a blue or pink swirl and the other part turned brown :(

Lots of people like brown and pink and blue and pink together. One of my friends wants her soap to be brown with a pink swirl, but granted she does do a lot of foodie scents.

Back