Fo's and discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terminatortoo

Reaction score
I'm looking at Natures Garden and all there FO's reading if they discolor or not. My question is do they discolor the colorants you add or are they talking about discoloring the natural soap color?

You might want to look into The Scent Review board. It has all scents listed by manufacture and reviews by users when it comes to soaping and the different types of soaping like, HP,CP,RTCP ect. It is called The Soap Scent Review Board. It will answer all you scent questions of how a scents behaves in soap.

If a fragrance oil discolors, it's usually going to affect any colorants that you add to your soap batter. It just matters how how much vanilllin is in the fo.

Like an FO with a vanilla base, it doesn't matter how much TD you add to your soap it will still turn tan or even darker depending on the percentage of vanilla in the FO. You may as well throw cocoa powder in it.....lol!

I agree with the others. Sometimes you can overcome it by adding more color, but sometimes you can't. I try to avoid the badly discoloring FOs, but sometimes you just don't know. I tried a new scent the other day that was perfectly clear in the bottle, but it made the soap very yellow, messing up my plans for a pink and burgundy soap.

You might want to look into The Scent Review board. It has all scents listed by manufacture and reviews by users when it comes to soaping and the different types of soaping like, HP,CP,RTCP ect. It is called The Soap Scent Review Board. It will answer all you scent questions of how a scents behaves in soap.

Thanks for the great resource!

Since that is the case it kind of messes up making the soap a color that compliments the scent. That is what I needed to know though, thanks I don't want any surprises.

I was wondering if anyone has tried a vanilla stabilizer for CP to see if there is a way to counteract it like in MP. I've seen one that claims it helps in CP but I haven't been brave enough to test it yet. I just stay away from those FO or use the fact that they discolor to my advantage.

I was wondering if anyone has tried a vanilla stabilizer for CP to see if there is a way to counteract it like in MP. I've seen one that claims it helps in CP but I haven't been brave enough to test it yet. I just stay away from those FO or use the fact that they discolor to my advantage.

I've used WSP's, BB's and NGC's vanilla stabilizers in MP & CP. Eventually (anywhere from 2-6 months down the road) the soaps started turning brown with the fo's that had high vanillin content in them.

I've used WSP's, BB's and NGC's vanilla stabilizers in MP & CP. Eventually (anywhere from 2-6 months down the road) the soaps started turning brown with the fo's that had high vanillin content in them.

Thats really depressing

Back