Tussah silk and sodium citrate and sodium lactate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbie

Reaction score
Okay I have a question for the pros. Can I use silk and sodium citrate in the same lye water or do I have to use either, or? Can all three be used at the same time?

What effect(s) are you trying to achieve?

Sodium lactate produces a harder bar but can depress lather.

Sodium citrate I haven't soaped personally but I'm currently participating in an additive swap and the effect on lather was impressive.

I haven't used silk so I can't comment on that.

Sodium citrate I haven't soaped personally but I'm currently participating in an additive swap and the effect on lather was impressive.
You mean it increases lather ? Interesting.

What base recipe was used ?

I am looking to make a formula harder but put in a preservative. I love silk. It feels lotion like. The problem is i need to stick to the 20-23 percent coconut oil. I find 25 percent drying and I dont like to go over 7 percent superfatt on my recipes. I know salt bars are different.

CP soap doesn't require a preservative.

The swap used the same base recipe of 50% OO, 25% PO, and 25% CO, full water, 8% superfat. In all we had over twenty different additives made by the participants - different milks, sugars, beer, rosin, EDTA, cetyl alcohol, aloe, etc.

If you want a harder bar, try cocoa butter. I use 5-10% cocoa butter in my soap and it makes a noticeable difference.

judymoody said:

I made my first batch of coconut milk soap and used sodium lactate in it also and the lather isn't very impressive. It's only been curing for 2 weeks but I used a recipe that I used before with great lather results. Should I not be using both milk and SL?

Okay, I understand about the cocoa butter.. I know some put BHT and Sodium citrate in the bars. The swap fprmula is similar to what I am using. I will go up to 8 percent on superfat.

I could be wrong, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to mix silk and sodium citrate in your water. I'll be trying it out myself here pretty soon since I use silk in every batch and have some sodium citrate on hand to try, as well as BHT and tetrasodium EDTA. I'll be doing some experiments with them to test their effect in my soap with our hard water, and also to test their protection against DOS in a high linoliec batch.

FOhoarder said:
judymoody said:

I made my first batch of coconut milk soap and used sodium lactate in it also and the lather isn't very impressive. It's only been curing for 2 weeks but I used a recipe that I used before with great lather results. Should I not be using both milk and SL?

I use SL in most of my formulas, but I've always omitted it in my milk formulas mainly because I've always figured that the creamy "milk-feel" that SL lends to my lather would most likely be redundant in a milk soap. In my non-milk formulas, though, I have never noticed a reduction of my lather at all. When I hear people say it causes a reduction of lather, I feel it must be due to their particular formula, because based on my own experiences with my own formulas, I've found quite the opposite to be true.

IrishLass :)

Okay, I am asking because I am going to work with an exotic milk. I needed something to make the bar firmer. But I wasn't sure if with milk sodium citrate and bHT were recommended.

Back