Tonight is NOT my night!! <--- Disaster pics added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scentapy

Reaction score
:cry:
Having a very bad soaping night and just had to vent with people that can relate to my frustration (cuz the hubby just doesn't get it!).
Made a batch of yogurt soap scented in Winter Candy Apple. First thing that went wrong was that when I added my lye to the yogurt...I ended up with some big gooey blob floating around in the liquid... so I dumped it and just discounted the water and added the yogurt at trace. I added red mica because it is an "apple" fragrance and it turned ORANGE.

THEN I made a batch of Avocado Cucumber soap and it seized. I glopped it in the mold anyway and I am gelling it hoping that it will fix the texture a bit. Think so?

I was going to do one more batch before bed but now I am thinking tonight is just not my night...............

Yeah....I hear ya. Been there done that! Just this weekend I was working on a restock of pink sugar. Grabbed the wrong colorant (they look VERY close to the same color in the bottle) and ended up with a bright orange brick of soap. Now I have to decide what to call this one.....hmmmmm.....hehehe

hey tegan... make soap curls and put em in a batch of orange scented soap ... orange sugar?!

I feel your pain scentapy... lol ... I tried to make green apple once and the green turned very dark like a forest green... oy that is not what green apples are supposed to look like.

:lol: :lol:

Yea....I am just gonna have to come up for a different name for it because I don't think orange apple is gonna fly :wink:

I had to LOL, because I had similar troubles this past week! If your luck is like mine, your next batch will be perfect!

Re: Tonight is NOT my night!!

Scentapy said:
:cry:
Having a very bad soaping night and just had to vent with people that can relate to my frustration (cuz the hubby just doesn't get it!).

Yeah, husbands can be that way! I'll trade ya! Mine will be 72 in March, is Traumatic Brain Injured (Aug 96), with beginning episodes of dementia who has been fighting a chest cold/cough since week before Christmas! :p Yesterday, I needed to make a fragrance free soap for a customer as the last bar was possibly making her itchy (she has "industrial" allergies). First I got side tracked by the Rose Bowl Parade and then fixing something for the husband's supper. Next it was a couple phone calls. By then it was close to time to put him to bed (10:30ish) so I decided to wait til after I got him in bed.

He's in bed!! so I start measuring oils. Got all measured except CO and Avocado Oil when I heard "LAAAUUURRA" in a weak, hoarse voice. Go running and the husband needed help to the bathroom and then into the shower...all the while talking to a friend (LOVE my bluetooth). Get the husband back to bed & realized that I didn't write down the 2d amount of CO that I had just dumped in reaction to his calling. Oh sh-t, now what??!!! No time to worry, got called again and another quick shower. So talked with my girlfriend about these diarrhea episodes....probably the Mucinex cough medicine...only thing started that was different and was stronger than his prescription cough med that had run out. Gave him a prescription anti-diarreal pill.

So, I'm irritated that I have these oils in the pan to warm up and can't figure out where I'm at. Decided to eat supper (now it's almost midnight) so I can think clearly. Before I warm the skillet for a couple scrambled eggs, I'm called a 3d time. This time just did a baby wipe clean up and got him back to bed, replacing the disposable bed protector.

FINALLY, got a bite to eat, sat down and read some of the forum & had a flash of inspiration....weigh a bowl, dump in the fats & oils and subtract from the total to be used!! :-D It worked....all the coconut oil was in there & just needed to add the Avocado Oil. Finished getting the batch made and into the oven about 2:30 this morning. Couldn't get up at 4 but finally struggled up at 5, got it out of the oven, took some out to add fragrance for my beautician and dumped the other in the loaf mold for the fragrance free customers. Wouldn't you know it!! I was wide awake then! Finally got a nap this morning while the husband slept in.

Isn't life just so interesting??
And the soap is lovely!
IDLaura

Ok... so the Winter Candy Apple ended up with MORE problems than I thought....it is OOZING oils. I have never had this happen before. Its actually and oily MESS:

008npk.jpg

By kimfa1 at 2012-01-03

010efs.jpg

By kimfa1 at 2012-01-03

The Avocado & Cucumber does not look nice and smooth and creamy as I hoped but it smells FABULOUS and it is definetly fine.

007yk.jpg

By kimfa1 at 2012-01-03

Better luck tonight? Hope so!

i'd let the candy apple sit, oils might absorb back in. also i think it looks pretty.

if you want to rebatch you could add some cinnamone ( if it doesnt already have it) and and call it apple pie or something, if it all ends up that orangy brown color on top, i think it will look lovely. :)

green soap said:
That is a nice green! what colorant did you use?

is avocado/cucumber a FO? looks nice to me.

The lighter green in the soap is just from pureed cucumber (skin and all) and the darker green is some of the soap I seperated and added green mica too just so I could have some contrast (but it also has the pureed cucumber in that portion too).

The FO is NG's "Guetamalan Avocado". OH MY...this fragrance is one of my top faves. I definetly recommend trying it. It is also a lasting fragrance. I have used it a couple times already.

krissy said:
i'd let the candy apple sit, oils might absorb back in. also i think it looks pretty.

I think I will let it sit and see what happens. My original thought was to toss it....it really is a mess.....but I think I will hold on and see what happens...even if it is only for research sake

I lack the courage you had to add lye straight to any sort of milk. I had glop too. So now I always add milks to the oils instead.

krissy said:

if you want to rebatch you could add some cinnamone ( if it doesnt already have it) and and call it apple pie or something, if it all ends up that orangy brown color on top, i think it will look lovely. :)

I like this idea!

The avocado and cucumber soap is very pretty!

The candy apple one looks like you got some separation. I'd test to make sure that the leaky oily residue isn't caustic. If it were me, I'd rebatch.

I'm with Judy. It looks like it overheated. Disaster batches are such a pain, but you *do* learn something every time. :eek:)

I LOVE the green one! did you add colorant to it? will it turn brown eventually?

Latest posts

Back