Odd things that can be used as soap molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapy Gurl

Reaction score
I don't look at everything yet and weigh its possibility as a soap mold. I would love to hear about your odd ball finds and ideas for molds.

Mine is a small take-out box from Noodles & Co. It is kind of like a chinese take-out box but shorter and rectangle. It is recycled paper with a shiny lining. I think the soap will just slide right out.

I've used pringles cans, wax lined juice boxes (individule serves and the big 1 litre), washed cat food plastic containers (liked the shape), all manner of silicone cupcake shapes, ice cube trays (perfect for embeds or topping decorations), though these days I'm boring I stick to my silicone log moulds.

Pudding cups. I think buying pre-made pudding in individual plastic cups is gross, but they make adorable single molds!

I too am always looking at thing with the thought of 'could it be a soap mold?' in addition to the above things I use individual icecream cups. They are fluted like a flower and have a round indention in the middle perfect to place a round sticker on the wrapping. My main mold(I do molded soaps only) is the small glad snack containers. Fit perfect in your hand and it too has an indentation in the center perfect for a soap stamp and label when wrapped. The only problemis you have to rub off the recycle stamp:)

These are some great ideas! I will have to try some of them. I was so disappointed that JoAnn's was out of the spider ice mold. That would have made some really cute soap! It seems that Halloween is clearancing and they are setting up for Christmas. I always behind on the holiday production. :roll:

Soapy Gurl said:
It seems that Halloween is clearancing and they are setting up for Christmas. I always behind on the holiday production. :roll:

Yeah this is a bit crazy to me. I was just at Joann's yesterday looking for some cute Halloween molds and almost everything halloween was almost gone and the Christmas decorations were already out. It's the beginning of October! Isn't that a little early?

Bettacreek - I haven't found it too difficult. I first started using them for lotion bars and they worked great but were a PAIN to clean. The soap if it gets too sticky I just pop it in the freezer for as long as I forget it's in there and then they tend to pop right out.

bettacreek said:
Tegan said:
Plastic baby food containers...

Woah! Is it hard to get the soap out? I like this idea!

ditto on the plastic baby food containers and no it isn't hard to get the soap out. They just pop right out almost (but obviously not quite) like silicone molds.

But I am thinking of the Gerber Baby 2nd stage plastic food containers. They make good things to measure your ingredients out into since they come with lids too. It I have a recipe that has a lot of little ingredients (FO, EO, glycerin, etc.) then that is what I use.

Also crystal lite containers. . .

I bought some canned chhips the other day just because I wanted to use the containers for soap molds...about twice the diameter of Pringles cans. I never buy Doritos; the kids were overjoyed to see junk food! I didn't have the heart to tell them why I really bought them ;) It's a sickness, this hobby! :lol:

Mouse said:
I bought some canned chhips the other day just because I wanted to use the containers for soap molds...about twice the diameter of Pringles cans. I never buy Doritos; the kids were overjoyed to see junk food! I didn't have the heart to tell them why I really bought them ;) It's a sickness, this hobby! :lol:

LOL It's the lye. . . it goes to our head. :D

Plastic divided utensil trays.

Roof gutter drain pipes (I'm sure there's REAL name for it LOL) very inexpensive and I had one cut to 16 pieces @ Lowes .. I just take a black garbage bag and cover the end as tight as I can get it hold it in place with a rubber band then duct tape it in place to hold the soap in. once done I cut to 16 1" bars

Milk cartons (not the jugs the cardboard wax lined kind)

My all time favorite ... wooden lap trays that you can get at AC Moore in the unfinished wood section. The have sides that are about 1" high and the ends have cut out handles. I covered the cut out area from the inside with duct tape to make it smooth, then line the tray with freezer paper. I have have been using the same ones for several years and they work like a charm for small batches (3.5 lbs of oil) I do most of my soaps 2 hrs in the oven at 170 degrees and these things work just as well as my expensive slab mold that I paid almost $80 for!

Latest posts

Back