Gel versus no gel pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
People are often asking about gelling versus not gelling. I too, was confused about what it exactly meant until now. I just cut a batch of soap that I made sure gelled. There was some extra that I put in individual molds, and that did not gel. What resulted was much what I expected: the gelled soap looked a bit more translucent than the non-gelled, which was completely opaque. I figured it would look more like HP soap. The non-gelled soap was also lighter. I took a picture of the bars side by side, which I would have found helpful when I was first wondering what it was all about. There isn't much difference in texture.

dsc0219e.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

what a great example!

I really like the look of non gelled soaps, I think they look creamier, however its summer here an all my soaps fully gell whether I insulate or not so I just go with it.

That's a wonderful comparison photo for new people to refer to. Sometimes the colour difference is even greater depending on recipe and how hot the gelled soap gets.

Those are lovely pale soaps. The ungelled is very white. Well done. :wink:

Seeing that when I first joined this group would have been wonderful, so I believe many will be appreciative of your effort.

I'm so new at this. First, I thought it was ash. After hours of research and an awful headache, I realized it was a gel issue. The colorant I was using didn't help the issue either.

Thanks!

Great comparison.
A partial gel pic would of been a good one too.
Sooo many people when starting out wonder what the circle is in the middle of the soap.

On the subject of gelled vs. Ungelled. Does a gelled bar last longer during use than an Ungelled bar with the same recipe. That's my newbie question.

It's great to see a side by side comparison. It's amazing how much whiter the non-gelled soap is! It even looks creamier. You'll have to keep us updated on what you notice in terms of a different feeling between the two when you use them. Thanks for the pic!

Gel versus no gel...

Wow....what a difference. I visited this issue on another thread sometime ago and really received a lot of great information about the difference between the two and the preferences different soapers have on this issue. Up to that time none of my soaps ever failed to gel so I never saw the difference. Not until I made soap in the cold weather we're having did I notice somewhat of a ring on the center of my soaps. I really like the look of the un-gelled soap....that being a lot whiter than the gelled. Sooo.....that being what it is, does one keep the batch from staying warm to get an un-gelled soap??....like putting it in the freezer directly after pouring it...?
Jerry S

Re: Gel versus no gel...

Jerry S said:
Wow....what a difference. I visited this issue on another thread sometime ago and really received a lot of great information about the difference between the two and the preferences different soapers have on this issue. Up to that time none of my soaps ever failed to gel so I never saw the difference. Not until I made soap in the cold weather we're having did I notice somewhat of a ring on the center of my soaps. I really like the look of the un-gelled soap....that being a lot whiter than the gelled. Sooo.....that being what it is, does one keep the batch from staying warm to get an un-gelled soap??....like putting it in the freezer directly after pouring it...?
Jerry S

I know some people put their molds in the freezer or refrigerator. I don't have experience with it myself since the only other times I've used the wooden mold were for CPHP.

danny p said:
On the subject of gelled vs. Ungelled. Does a gelled bar last longer during use than an Ungelled bar with the same recipe. That's my newbie question.
Once cured, there is no difference how much the soap will last.

soapbuddy said:
danny p said:

Really? I read somewhere on this forum that it DOES make a difference. I read that gelled soap lasts longer. I am confused now...

dubnica said:
soapbuddy said:
danny p said:

Really? I read somewhere on this forum that it DOES make a difference. I read that gelled soap lasts longer. I am confused now...
Maybe it depends on your recipe. On occassion I make gelled soaps and once cured I notice no difference bewteen the ones that gelled and once that didn't.

dubnica said:
soapbuddy said:
danny p said:

I've heard that also (and used to believe it) and I agree with that if you use the soap a week after making it. But if you let both cure out...you can't tell the difference.

At least in my recipes - I've done some side by side comparisons. For instance I'll make up more than my loaf will hold. The loaf gels and I pour the leftover in individual cavity molds that don't gel so I could compare.

Oh OK. Thank you for the clarification.

I have bars that are over 6 months old, but I do not remember which one gelled and which did not. My notes are only about the recipe and how much FO or colorant I used...but I never go back and write if the soap gelled or not. Oh well...if it doesn't matter then I don't care.

I too like the smooth look of non-gelled soaps. This photo shows two large molds that gelled and individual ones that didn't. I was surprised to see the differences between the unmolded bars. The slab from the block lost the scent and color vs the round. (??) However, it lathers and feels good, so it's still great for my personal use.

I'd like to put my molds in the freezer to avoid gel, but wouldn't the batch go cold and lose the saponification process then? Forgive the newbie if that's a silly question.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I put my soaps in the fridge or the freezer. It does slow the saponification process, but in the end, the color is lighter and I can use less fragrance. By the time the soap cures, there is no difference.

Back