What's Tooth Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNaturesArt

Reaction score
Had honor435 ask me this question, thought I would move it and give it its own topic.

It's an all natural baking soda soap I make, that has little to no bubbles and clean fantastically!! I actually sell quite a bit of it. I have tinkered with the recipe for ages, and finally have one I really like and customers love.

il_430xN.88022274.jpg

il_430xN.88022263.jpg

Here is one of my listings, it describes it pretty well.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=30205772

Cool ! I haven't tried tooth soap yet . I can't get my brain around brushing my teeth with soap . I am working on it though , it sounds like a fantastic product .

Kitn

hmmm, intersting, does it taste like soap, do you make it like soap?

It does have a bit of soapy taste, but not heavy taste, and its made hot process to make sure all cooking is done well, similar with the oils and lye. but at trace i add the flavorings and baking soda, its almost like doing a salt bar with no lather!

I've made and use tooth soap. I've read that it's the coconut oil that has the soapiest taste, so I've tried a recipe without it. It does take a little getting used to, but I do like it. To keep tea and coffee stains under control, I also use baking soda once a day. Adding it to the soap sounds like a great idea!

How do you use the vanilla w/out getting the discoloration?

I made my own toothpaste with baking soda, kaolin clay, a little glycerin (didn't hear that it was bad), salt, peppermint eo and stevia... my teeth have been sparkling clean!

it's not so horrible, it creates slip! But most people seeking all natural toothpaste, don't want ingredients to mimic purpose, is all. I use the flavorings sparingly really, it's a hint of it, not flooded in it.

tooth soap

I read about tooth soap on this forum a while back. I have a bit of experience making cp soap so decided to give it a whirl. My main ingredient is grapeseed oil. It is a very soft soap. I used the grapeseed oil because of the antioxidents (tho I have no idea if the comes through in the process).

The soap is a bit nutty tasting and pretty foamy. But I use just a tiny bit each time. It is pleasant and cheap to use.

My dental hygenist says I don't give her any thing to do at my cleanings. Guess that says it all.

I plan to try some flavors and some xylitol for a bit of sweetening. Also a bit of crushed calcium may be benificial. These last two ingredients seem to have some good qualities for tooth soap.

I found another forum that has a ton of info on tooth soaps for anyone who is interested.

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=774

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Flouride is poison .

I grew up mostly in a large city with flouride and as a young adult had three teeth pulled and three more filled. Also had a gum infection that caused receeding gum lines.

Now after living in the country for over 30 years and no flouride I have had none pulled and only a couple of tiny fillings (also a couple old fillings replaced). And the gum lines are no worse. When my four sons left home for the last time they had beautiful teeth. They hadn't had flouride for most of their lives.

I know that is anecdotal info but I do have 8 siblings mostly with bad teeth (city dwellers with flouridated water).

If you google flouride I'm sure there's tons of good evidence to not use it.

I like www.mercola.com for good safe advise.

Happy brushing. Sorry if I get so long winded. :roll:

Carol's Caning & Weav said:
Flouride is poison .

I grew up mostly in a large city with flouride and as a young adult had three teeth pulled and three more filled. Also had a gum infection that caused receeding gum lines.

Now after living in the country for over 30 years and no flouride I have had none pulled and only a couple of tiny fillings (also a couple old fillings replaced). And the gum lines are no worse. When my four sons left home for the last time they had beautiful teeth. They hadn't had flouride for most of their lives.

I know that is anecdotal info but I do have 8 siblings mostly with bad teeth (city dwellers with flouridated water).

If you google flouride I'm sure there's tons of good evidence to not use it.

I like www.mercola.com for good safe advise.

Happy brushing. Sorry if I get so long winded. :roll:

even nastier is that they add flouride to the water apply along with chlorine...tap water-yuck!

I make a dental soap too. It only takes a small shred unless you enjoy foaming at the mouth.
I also make the dental powder that helps to remineralize the teeth. It is pretty simple to make, you need a powdered calcium/magnesium product. Any brand is fine as long as the magnesium is 50% of the calcium and no other ingredients. Mix that 50/50 with baking soda. Add flavor and stevia or xylitol to taste.
I have used liquid soap to brush with but prefer the tooth soap as the taste of liquid soap is too soapy for me.
My teeth are no longer sensitive and never looked better.

I've made tooth soap before. 1 batch I made like 2yrs. ago (?)..pics of it here somewhere....

anyway....I made it with NO "foaming" oils...CO, PKO, PO...

I only used olive, castor and cocoa butter. Flavored with Orange and Peppermint EOs. which both have completely faded away...

But it was lacking something....baking soda... So following a 'recipe' or idea found on the internet, I shredded it, added minute amounts of distilled water, baking soda and more EOs for flavor and warmed it in the microwave and blended it. I make it in tiny little 'batches' and store it in a babyfood jar. I brush my teeth in the shower (so simple, don't know why I didn't discover that trick 30 years ago!) so I just dip my freshly rinsed toothbrush into the jar then scrub. I now get great dental check-ups, no more 'morning breath', and my mouth just feels cleaner. No more 'scummies' from the toothpaste.

I had run out here a couple of weeks ago....used toothepaste for like 2 weeks....and I cursed myself EVERY time I brushed my teeth for not getting around to the task of whipping up another batch of homemade tooth "paste"...I missed it terribly.

Great thread. Thanks very much for all your posts, and for the link to Debra Lynn Dadd's site.

I have been using straight baking soda for years, but will try making tooth soap.

Maria, do you think it would work to mx the cal/mag in to my soap. It's thickness is a really soft soap almost like a salve. It would melt in the mic real easy. I don't mind a little foam or the taste so would be nice to add the powder to what I have already made. Think I'll try crushing the vit's in my spice grinder and adding to a jar of the soap. Thanks for posting , I was wondering how much to mix together. Will just guess at the amt to add to my jars of tooth soap.

Carol

I'm sure you could. Whenever I have added minerals to soap, it reduced the lather. This would be perfect with tooth soap.
I was thinking of either finely grinding the tooth soap I have already made and mixing with the powder or trying to make a better tasting liquid soap, not sure how yet, and adding to the powder. It would be easier to use one product rather than alternate between the soap and the powder.

This morning I melted about 2 0z of my soap and added 1000 IU of calcium and 500 mg of magnesium. I ground the cal/mag in my spice grinder. It worked great and mixed in real nice. I also added a vit D3 and vit E . It was pleasant to use and foamed a little less.

If anyone knows a good useful amt to add I'd appreciate hearing as I'm just guessing knowing it won't hurt me. :?

Back